If you have dogs, you live with dog hair. Grooming your short hair dog is essential if you want to keep their skin and coat healthy. As a responsible dog parent, you know that at-home brushing can help keep your short hair dog’s coat clean. From this article, you can find the best dog brush for short hair.
Top 10 list of the best dog brush for short hair
So are you looking for a quality dog brush for short hair that will give you service for long without compromising on comfort? Here, we have created a dog brush for short hair top 10 list. Read the reviews or use the links to get right to the best brushes for short hair.
- FURminator Undercoat Deshedding Tool for Dogs
- 1 Pc of Self Cleaning Grooming Slicker Pet Brush
- HERTZKO Self Cleaning Slicker Brush
- SOLID Slicker Deshedding Brush for Dog
- PET PULL Pet Grooming Brush – Professional Deshedding Tool for Dogs
- FURminator Curry Comb with Rubber Teeth for Short Coats
- Paws & Pals Dog Brush – Gentle Soft Hair Rake Trimming Comb
- FURemover Handheld Pet Hair Removal Tool, Silicone Lint, and Debris Remover
- Upgrade Dog Bath Brush Professional Dog Grooming Brush
- Upgrade Dog Bath Brush Professional Dog Grooming Brush
What kind of brush for short hair dog?
So, with tons of dog brushes on the market, you need to pick the right dog brush for short hair dogs that matches up with their needs. The brushes for short hair usually have either rubber, steel, or nylon bristles. The three most common brush types for short-haired dogs are:
- Slicker brush: Slicker brushes are ideal for short coats. It helps to remove dead hair and keeps shedding to a minimum. Do not press too hard on sensitive skin if you use a slicker dog brush for short hair.
- Bristle brush: Bristle brushes are perfect for dogs with short coats. These brushes help to lift away dirt and add extra shine. Use a bristle brush to brush all over the dog’s body using medium pressure.
- De-shedding tool: If shedding is a problem for short hair dogs, then a de-shedding tool might help. These tools can reduce the overall amount of shedding with consistent use. It cuts down on the amount of hair you see on your clothes and furniture.
What’s the best brush for short hair dogs?
So, ready to dive in and help groom your short hair dog? Well, finding the best dog brush for short hair can make grooming time easy and fun for your furry pal.
We bring you the top 10 dog brush for short hair dogs currently available on the market. Let’s have a look at them:
1. FURminator Undercoat Deshedding Tool for Dogs
FURminator professional-grade de-shedding tool for short hair dogs makes the dog owner’s life dramatically easy. It reaches through the topcoat to safely and easily remove loose hair without damaging the topcoat. The curved edge follows your dog’s natural build and shape.
If you are tired of loose hair from your short hair companion, this FURminator dog brush for short hair is worth the money. It is the best tool for a short hair dog that sheds. The deshedding tool will change the way you groom your short hair dog!
FURminator professional-grade de-shedding tool maintains a 4.7-star rating from 28,623 customer reviews.
- Color: red/grey
- Curved stainless steel edge for comfortable and fast loose undercoat hair removal
- It reaches through the topcoat to remove loose undercoat hair
- Ergonomic handle for holding the brush
- The curved edge comfortably follows the pet’s natural shape
- FURejector button releases hair with ease
- Buyers have mentioned that the de-shedding tool is very sturdy
- Constructed from top quality materials
- It removes the loose hair from shedding
- Some positive reviews state that the de-shedding tool is comfortable and easy to use
- Quickly and easily release collected hair
- Great tool for your dog’s shedding season
- Many low reviews stated that the handle material is easily chewable
- Some buyers have complained that the fur release button sticks
2. 1 Pc of Self Cleaning Grooming Slicker Pet Brush
The self-cleaning slicker brush removes loose hair gently and trapped dirt from your dog’s short coats with minimal effort. The bristles penetrate deep into your dog’s short hair.
Now, you can easily groom the undercoat well without scratching your dog’s skin! The bristles also help stimulate the dog’s skin to promote healthy blood circulation.
Simply click the button when you’re done brushing, and the bristles retract back into the brush. This lets you to easily wipe away the loose fur. This self-cleaning slicker dog brush for short hair saves you a lot of time and effort. It reduces shedding by up to 90%. Now you can brush your dog for hours and never get tired.
- Material: metal
- Brush type: self-cleaning
- Comfort grip
- Non-slip metal handle
- Bristles retract, and hair falls off
- Customers have mentioned that the dog brush reduces shedding by up to 90%
- Easy to clean
- It leaves your dog’s coat soft and shiny
- Comfortable to use
- Durable and sturdy dog brush
- One of the best brushes for short hair
- Prevents hand and wrist strain
- The bristles don’t retract completely.
3. HERTZKO Self Cleaning Slicker Brush
Make grooming your short hair dog a comfortable and pleasant experience with Hertzko Self Cleaning Slicker Brush. This perfect slicker dog brush for short hair will get all dirt and loose hair out of your pet’s fur.
The fine bristles penetrate deep into your dog’s coat. It’s like a massage for your short hair dog. It is easy and super comfortable to use with an anti-slip handle and comfort grip.
Hertzko Self Cleaning Slicker Brush maintains a 4.5-star rating from 60,018 customer reviews.
- Color: purple
- Easy cleanup
- Anti-slip handle
- Soft and densely packed bristles
- Hanging hole
- The best thing about this brush is that dogs enjoy the brushing experience.
- Customers have mentioned that the brush is comfortable for the pet and user-friendly.
- Increases blood circulation
- Leaves your dog’s coat soft and shiny
- Some buyers found the bristles are just too short
4. SOLID Slicker Deshedding Brush for Dog
The SOLID slicker dog brush for short hair is a gentle yet effective de-shedding tool. It gently penetrates beneath the undercoat to remove loose hair, dander, debris, and dirt. Each of the non-buffered fine bristle ends is coated with a rounded tip bead.
The non-slip silicone ergonomic comfort grip and thumb rest allow for easy control. The brush is very easy to clean with a one-click self-cleaning button.
SOLID slicker deshedding dog pin brush maintains a 4.4-star rating from 30 customer reviews.
- Color: purple
- One-click self-cleaning button
- Stainless steel pins
- Hanging hole
- Ergonomic handle with anti-slip rubber
- Some customers have mentioned that it wipes hair off in one which sweep
- Reviews praise this product for
- Convenient to use
- Easy to clean
- Reduce shedding and allergens
- Some buyers have reported that the
5. PET PULL Pet Grooming Brush – Professional Deshedding Tool for Dogs
Make grooming your short hair dog a comfortable and pleasant experience with PET PULL Dog Grooming Brush. It gently removes loose hair and is excellent for everyday brushing.
With PET PULL Dog Grooming dog brush for short hair, you will find less hair around your house. It increases blood circulation and leaves your short hair dog’s coat much softer and sleek! The ergonomic non-slip handle makes the brush easy to use.
PET PULL dog brush for short hair maintains a 4.4-star rating from 157 customer reviews.
- Ergonomic non-slip handle
- Constructed from stainless steel that doesn’t rust
- Detachable Head
- Reduces Shedding Up to 95%
- Many buyers reviewed that it reduces the shedding and stops loose hair from flying in the house
- Customers have mentioned that it is perfect for brushing short-haired dogs
- Super easy to clean
- Leaves your dog with healthy skin and shiny fur
- Some buyers have mentioned that it doesn’t get much hair
6. FURminator Curry Comb with Rubber Teeth for Short Coats
FURminator Curry Comb for short hair dogs features molded rubber teeth. It stimulates the production of natural oils for a healthy coat. The ergonomic handle provides a secure and comfortable grip.
The FURminator curry comb provides a gentle, effective solution for the grooming process. The anti-microbial plastic material helps keep germs and bacteria at a minimum.
FURminator Curry Comb maintains a 4.3-star rating from 4,994 customer reviews.
- Material: Plastic, Rubber
- Color: Green with black handle
- Ergonomic handle
- Molded rubber teeth
- Comfortable design
- Buyers have mentioned that the curry comb is simple and powerful
- The best thing about this is that it removes dust and loose hair from your dog
- Customers have mentioned that it cleans the short coat and distributes the oils making it shine
- Easy to use
- One of the problems buyers highlighted is that the curry comb is too small and too hard
7. DakPets Pet Grooming Brush
DakPets Grooming Brush is the ideal de-shedding tool for short hair dogs. It’s designed to remove the loose dead undercoat of your dog without damaging the topcoat. The brush reduces pet shedding up to 95 percent.
It features a stainless steel comb with a long rust-resistant, effectively reaches deep down to your short hair dog’s undercoat and promotes healthy skin in dogs, and leaves a shiny coat.
The dog brush for short hair includes a comfortable non-slip rubber handle that makes grooming comfortable and easy for pet owners. The DakPets Grooming Brush is very easy to clean.
DakPets Grooming dog brush for short hair maintains a 4.4-star rating from 37,765 customer reviews.
- Available in 3 colors
- Constructed from environmentally friendly material
- Includes a 4-inches long rust-resistant blade
- Clear plastic safe blade cover
- Quick-release button
- Non-slip comfortable handle
- Convenient eyelet
- The dog brush has a versatile detachable design
- Customers have mentioned that the brush removes the loose and itchy undercoat
- Reviewers back up claim that the brush is gentle and non-irritant
- Promotes healthy skin and coat
- Stimulates your dog’s blood circulation
- Maintains a neat and shiny short coat
- Some reviews report that this dog brush requires extra care to use
8. Paws & Pals Dog Brush – Gentle Soft Hair Rake Trimming Comb
Paws & Pals Dog Brush removes excess fur and allergens from your dog’s short coat. The stainless steel blade on this dog brush makes it great for short hair dogs. The brush helps balance natural oils in your dog’s skin and keep their fur looking great.
Paws & Pals dog brush for short hair is easy to use and prevents excess shedding for a long-lasting healthy coat.
Paws & Pals dog brush for short hair maintains a 4.4-star rating from 1,167 customer reviews.
- Color: Tan
- Designed for the safety of your dog’s skin
- Professional quality gentle comb
- Ergonomic handle
- Self-cleaning stainless steel bristles
- Most buyers love it because it helps reduce shedding and pet odor
- Customers have praised the product for providing maximum control without straining or fatiguing your hands
- Comfortable and durable construction
- Works great to remove dirt and dander
- Removes loose hair easily
- Customers have mentioned that it is irritable to some pets
9. FURemover Handheld Pet Hair Removal Tool, Silicone Lint and Debris Remover
The FURemover Handheld Pet Hair Removal Tool is the all-in-one tool for your short hair dog. The thick bristles are perfect for combing and grooming your short hair dog. The rubber brush glides through dog hair to remove loose hair from the coat.
The fine bristles allow for removing lint, hair, and debris from furniture and clothing. The FURemover Handheld Pet Hair Removal Tool is the ultimate tool for dog owners to restore and clean a fur-covered home.
FURemover Handheld Pet Hair Removal Tool maintains a 4.2 out of 5 stars rating from 2258 customer reviews.
- Material: rubber
- Color: red
- Handle material: rubber
- Thick bristles for combing and grooming your
- Fine bristles for removing lint, hair, and debris
- Customers have mentioned that the brush picks up hair better than anything else
- Super easy cleanup
- Great for furniture and carpet
- Easy and convenient to use
- Some reviews report that this FURemover tool doesn’t pick up the hair as advertised
10. Upgrade Dog Bath Brush Professional Dog Grooming Brush
This grooming rubber brush is a great alternative to a metal bristle brush. The Soft rubber bristles collect loose hair and massage your short hair dog while being brushed or bathed.
The soft rubber tips quickly scrub away the dirt and dead skin of your dog. It reduces shedding and improves circulation for a healthy and shiny coat! It leaves your dog’s skin clean and helps restore shine to the coat.
The ergonomic mouse design allows keeping the brush steady within your grasp. It provides you with greater control even when the dog brush is wet.
HOP Home of Paws Dog Bath Brush maintains a 4.5 out of 5 stars from 327 customer reviews.
- Colour: green
- Material: TPR
- Rubber needles
- Ergonomic mouse design
- Dual-effects of massaging the skin
- Removable screen for easy cleaning
- Many positive reviews stated that the grooming brush is safe and gentle on dogs
- Reviewers backup manufacturer’s claims that it is easy to clean
- Can be hung with a rope to save space
- Effective yet gentle
- Dogs love the massaging bristles
- Some buyers complained that it does not remove much hair
Benefits of brushing your short-haired dogs
Let’s look at how brushing is good for your short-haired furry pal:
- Brushing stimulates blood flow to the skin and keeps hair follicles healthy.
- Brushing will distribute the dog’s natural oils on the skin. It will also prevent greasy buildup on the coat.
- Brushing your dog regularly helps you get to know your dog’s skin. You can identify issues like infections or limps at an early stage.
- It can remove dead hairs and sweep away any dirt and debris.
- Brushing helps to reduce dog hair floating around your house during shedding season.
- It keeps the fur in good shape.
Grooming tips for short-haired dogs
The grooming needs vary with different coat types. Most dog parents believe that their short-haired dog requires less grooming. Well, that’s not true. A short-haired dog requires regular grooming, just as any other dog breed.
To keep your dog’s short coat healthy and well-groomed, here are a few grooming tips to keep in mind.
Invest in a good dog brush
Many short-haired dog breeds shed their coats. So, they need regular and thorough brushing. Find a dog brush made specifically for short-haired dog breeds. You can select one of our top picks.
Organize your grooming accessories
Organize your grooming materials in one spot. This will make your grooming tasks simple and effective. It also prevents a grooming tool from being misplaced when it’s time to groom your short-haired dog.
Keep your brushes clean
Be sure to clean the grooming accessories regularly. Cleaning them is important as germs and bacteria can easily stick to them. Try to disinfect or sterilize your grooming accessories after some time to prevent bacteria from transmitting to your short-haired dog.
Be gentle and careful
Be as gentle as possible during grooming to avoid hurting your dog. Try to be very careful in sensitive areas such as paws and the face. Washing and drying your dog before grooming could make it easier to groom. For example, you can use natural products like oatmeal shampoo for dogs.
Make it a positive experience
Dogs just love all the extra attention and one-on-one. Make grooming a positive experience for your short-haired dog, filled with praise and rewards.
Why does my short hair dog shed so much?
Let’s look at the reasons for excessive shedding in short-haired dogs:
Change of season
Like all dogs, short-haired dog’s natural hair growth cycle adapts with varied seasons. The short-haired dogs usually shed during seasonal changes in spring or autumn.
Poor nutrition leads to shedding
Poor nutrition is an important major factor when it comes to excessive shedding in short-haired dogs. If short-haired dogs are not given a healthy and balanced diet, their coat appears unhealthy and may experience shedding.
Regular grooming is important for all short-haired dogs. Poor grooming results in poor coat and excessive shedding. If you are not brushing your short-haired dog frequently enough or using incorrect brushes, this may damage their coat.
Hormonal swings affect how your short-haired dog sheds, and you might not be able to control it, in short-haired dogs may occur due to pregnancy, recent neutering or spaying, or female dog going into heat.
Abnormal shedding in short-haired dogs can be a sign of stress. Dogs may get stressed due to environmental change, separation anxiety, or some trauma.
Ticks and fleas
Fleas, ticks, or parasites may also result in noticeably high short-haired dog shedding. Parasites make their skin itchy and uncomfortable.
If you see that your short-haired dog’s shedding has become unusually heavy, it is time to speak to a vet.
FAQs on dog brushes for short hair
What do groomers do for short hair dogs?
Many people choose to take their short-haired dogs to the groomers for a great grooming session. Professional groomers will give your short hair dog a thorough bath, dey them off, brush their coat, trim their nails, clean the ears if needed. The groomer will examine your dog for allergies, rashes, or signs of infection.
What is the best deshedding brush for short hair dogs?
FURminator professional-grade deshedding tool is the best dog brush for short hair shedding. This dog shedding brush works perfectly with short hair dogs. It safely removes loose hair and undercoat without damaging your short-haired dog’s coat or cutting their skin.
Should you brush a short-haired dog?
If you have a short-haired dog, you must ensure to provide regular brushing to your furry pal. Even the short hair dogs shed their coats and need a thorough brushing. They must be brushed out for better control of shedding.
How do you brush a dog with short hair?
If you brush your short hair dog regularly, it should be used to the act of brushing. Short hair dogs require weekly brushing to keep them tidy and healthy.
The direction of brushing strokes should be towards the short-haired dog’s hair growth. Be careful not to apply too much pressure while brushing. Always choose the brush that is most suitable for your dog’s short coat.
Can you overbrush your dog?
Well, you can’t over brush your short hair pup as long as you follow the typical brushing guidelines. However, you can cause damage to its skin and coat if you over-groom your furry pal. Your short-haired dogs need gentle care. So, don’t become overwhelmed! Short hair dogs do not require daily brushing. They usually need to be brushed a few times each week.
Do short hair dogs shed less?
Just because a pup has short hair does not mean it does not shed. Some short hair dogs may shed more than their long-haired breeds. Even short-haired dogs will benefit from brushing their coat once or twice a week to remove loose hair and minimize shedding.
Your takeaways on dog brushes for short hair
We hope this article helped you in choosing the best brush for your short-haired dog. Your short-haired dog might be easier to care for than those high-maintenance long-coat fluffy breeds.
Brushing your short hair dog is something that can benefit their overall health and well-being. Use these petting moments as a great opportunity for affection and grooming your short-haired dog. Brushing will strengthen your bond with your dog.
With a little patience and practice, your short-haired dog will feel comfortable with the grooming experience. It is recommended that you brush your short hair dog when its coat is dry. Always use safe, non-toxic, and high-quality grooming products for your dog.
Keep in mind that brushing is not the only thing you have to do when grooming your dog. It’s very important to regularly cut your dog’s nails with nail clippers or dog nail grinders.
If you have any questions about the dog brush for short hair dogs, don’t hesitate to ask.
Cover image freepik.com
This Post Has 2 Comments
I use a combo as only one brush doesn’t work for my hairy beasts.
The combo is composed of PET PULL Dog Grooming Brush and FURminator Curry Comb. Using both keeps the house clean and my pets happy. Depending on the size of your dog(s) I would recommend you try them together and see how it goes.
The FURemover Handheld Pet Hair Removal Tool is so, so good! I can’t remember the last time my dog left so few hairs in the house. It’s inexpensive and works so well and it doesn’t hurt my dog.