When your dog has heart disease or any other disease, one of the first things that come to your mind is how to make them comfortable. Apart from getting them the right medication, you also want to consider dietary changes. That brings us to the question; what’s the best dog food for heart murmur.
A heart murmur in dogs is a condition in which the heart’s valves are not functioning properly. It affects the heart muscle cells, impeding blood flow, resulting in increased sounds while listening to the heartbeat with a stethoscope, also known as auscultation. If not handled well, this cardiovascular disease can progress into congestive heart failure, which is the heart’s inability to pump blood properly.
The dog food for heart murmur is different from that prescribed by their vet. It depends on many factors: the severity of the condition, weight, and the general health status of the dog.
The best dog food for dogs with heart murmurs can help improve the condition and make the dog feel better. But since there are different brands making dog foods for this condition, dog parents have to be careful when buying any. This article outlines the best dog food for heart murmur and some things to look for before buying the food. If you don’t want to go through all the details, you can simply follow this link and choose the pet food you want.
The best dog food for heart murmur options
We analyzed dozens of best dog food for heart murmur category products and came up with this list. You can go into the pros and cons and decide for yourself what’s the dog food for your dog. But if you need to get right to the products, click the links below.
- Purina ONE SmartBlend Natural Adult Chicken & Rice Dry Dog Food
- IAMS Minichunks Adult Dry Dog Food, Chicken
- Royal Canin Canine Early Cardiac Dry
- Blue Buffalo Wilderness Large Breed Chicken Recipe Grain
- Taste of The Wild Roasted Lamb
- Hill’s Prescription Diet h/d Heart Care Dog Food
What to Look For When Buying Dog Food for Heart Murmur
Before buying dog food for a dog with heart disease, there are several things you need to look for to get the best.
Check the Ingredients
One of the things you need to keep an eye on when food for a dog with a heart murmur is the ingredient list. Ingredients are listed in order of weight in the product, so ensure the main ones are one of these:
- Celery seed can help reduce inflammation in your dog’s heart, which is excellent for dogs with a mild heart murmur. It also has antioxidant properties, which can benefit dogs with heart problems.
- Water – This can help reduce inflammation in your dog’s heart which is great for dogs with a mild heart murmur. It also has antioxidant properties, which can benefit dogs with heart disease.
- Kelp – Another ingredient rich in antioxidants that can aid in preventing cardiac diseases is kelp. The ingredient boosts the high content of vitamins C, A, and E, all antioxidants. Kelp is also rich in iodine, which can help prevent thyroid gland diseases, affecting the heart due to high phosphorus concentrations.
- Beetroot – This ingredient is highly concentrated with nitrates found to reduce blood pressure and improve blood flow in the body. Ensure your dog is not allergic to this ingredient before feeding him.
- Flaxseed – The omega fatty acids found in flax seeds are very important for maintaining your dog’s cardiovascular system healthy. Omega 3 and 6 help reduce the risk of heart disease, enlarged heart, angina, hypertension, atherosclerosis, canine dilated cardiomyopathy, and cardiac disorders associated with poor blood flow to the heart and other parts of the body.
Check the Nutrient Content
The nutrients mentioned in the list of ingredients are based on 100g of product. You should adjust the quantity of food you give your dog accordingly to maintain optimal body weight and prevent obesity, leading to other health problems such as diabetes and heart disease. The most appropriate nutrient profile for this product per day is about 1/2 cup per 10 kg body weight.
Some of the common nutrients found in dog food for heart murmur arrhythmia include
- vitamins A,
- C, and E.
- amino acids are also found in higher concentrations.
Other minerals such as Zinc, phosphorus are also found in about 0.33mg per 100g of product. You should ensure to feed your dog a low-calorie diet to prevent any unhealthy weight gain that may cause other issues. If you’re not sure about the correct quantity to feed your pet, please consult a vet who can give you better advice based on its health condition.
Get The Prescription
Another thing you should never overlook when buying the best dog food for heart murmur is a dietary prescription. Not all pet food is good for heart disease, and the vet must be able to differentiate which food will benefit your pooch and help treat his illness.
If you’re looking for an antibiotic, the vet’s prescription is a must-have before buying any medication from the store. This rule applies to medications such as doxycycline, erythromycin for dogs, erythromycin topical, doxycycline for cats, or any other medicines prescribed by the vet only.
Be sure to check your dog food packaging before buying them in the grocery. If you’re planning to buy online, make sure you buy from a reputable online store that discreetly ships the product. Check for free shipping and discounts before buying your pet’s food or medication.
Best Dog Foods for Heart Murmur
Purina One SmartBlend is high-quality dog food for your pet. It contains natural ingredients and is made with real chicken to give your pet a tasty meal, so it will continue to enjoy the benefits of eating healthy throughout its life.
This dog food contains balanced nutrients, antioxidants, amino acids, essential vitamins like vitamin E and minerals. This is to keep your pal healthy all the time. Purina One SmartBlend provides complete and balanced diets for adult dogs of all breeds in all stages of life. It provides 100% of the daily recommended nutrients without artificial flavors or preservatives.
This dog food helps promote a healthy immune system, strengthen the joints, and provide the proper development and strong bones. All these benefits make your pet more energetic and active even as it grows into a senior dog.
- Available in a variety of recipes suitable for every dog’s needs
- It does not contain any artificial preservatives or fillers.
- It contains all necessary nutrients for an active lifestyle without any side effects
- Available in an array of flavors and textures, your dog will truly love
- Customers complain of inconsistencies in quality control
- Others noted that their dogs vomit after taking the food
The chicken is a real tender chunk that will let you enjoy feeding your pet with a meal it deserves. The taste of this dog food is truly delicious as it contains no artificial flavors or preservatives and no chicken fat. It gives a healthy, happy, and active lifestyle to your dog.
IAMS is another reputable brand for dog food, and you can never go wrong with its product. If you’re looking for dog food that will make your pet happy and healthy, then this product is one to buy.
This is a quality diet suitable for dogs with heart disease. It contains ingredients such as chicken meal and chicken liver flavor that make it delicious to feed your pet. There is no doubt that this product will perfectly fit your dog’s taste and help with weight loss.
It comes with high-quality carbohydrates to improve your dog’s digestion, as well as probiotics to aid in the process as well. This product will not make your dog suffer from stomach problems. It is also rich in fiber and prebiotics that aid digestion.
- It contains high-quality ingredients that help maintain the dog’s weight and immune system.
- The dry dog food provides high-quality animal protein
- The ingredient content of this food is perfectly suitable for dogs with food-related allergies.
- The packaging is perfect for traveling owners.
- It comes with several flavors other than chicken to fit your pet’s preferences.
- It contains flaxseed that helps maintain the dog’s coat and skin condition.
- Some dogs are not satisfied with the chicken flavor, but it easily disappears after a few days of trial.
- Small breeds may find it difficult to break down the kibble pieces in this dry dog food.
The next time you want to give a treat to your dog, then try this product, and we can assure you that they will enjoy every bit of it. And because it contains low chicken fat, you won’t have to worry about your pup’s weight management.
Royal Canin veterinary diet is truly made with nutrients that will improve your furry friend’s cardiac health without any other side effects. The dry dog food is made from high-quality animal protein that your dog’s system easily digest and absorb. The fiber that it contains helps reduce and control cholesterol levels.
Each kibble piece of this food is crafted with a unique design to suit the needs of puppies who are less than one year old, senior dogs, and those who have just undergone surgery. The kibbles will not swell inside the mouth of your pup, and it will be easier for them to chew them as well.
- It contains omega-3 fatty acids to help with inflammation
- Low sodium chloride dog food for heart murmur to help reduce blood pressure in dogs eating it
- Grain-free dog diet
- Specifically formulated for dogs with sensitive stomachs
- Has added prebiotics to improve digestive function
- Oven-baked, not extruded, so it is easier to digest
- Brewers dried yeast which is high in B vitamins and antioxidants, to help boost the immune system
- Highly palatable dog food that your pup
- It May does not work for all dogs
The Royal Canin Canine Early Cardiac Dry Dog Food is an excellent choice for all young dogs who need a healthy heart function from now on. It’s the best diet choice you can make for dogs suffering from heart disease.
With more than five ingredients contained in this dog food, you can never go wrong with this one. It’s the best dog food for senior dogs with heart murmur.
The Blue Buffalo Wilderness Large Breed Chicken Recipe Grain is composed of real deboned chicken, chicken meal, oatmeal, and rice, all of which are vital ingredients for your pet’s health. The food also contains Omega-6 fatty acids to promote healthy skin and coat.
This dog food is made with larger dog breeds in mind, and it is specially formulated with the proper protein and fat levels needed by your canine friend. The dog food is rich in chondroitin and glucosamine to help strengthen the joints. It also contains good amounts of phosphorous and calcium which encourage healthy bones for your canine buddy.
Blue Buffalo Wilderness Large Breed Chicken Recipe Grain contains no corn, wheat, or soy fillers known allergens for some dogs. This dog food is also devoid of artificial flavors, colors and preservatives.
- Completely safe for dogs as it contains no artificial flavors or preservatives
- It contains antioxidants, vitamins, and vitamins for perfect immune health
- Completely natural dog food with carefully selected ingredients
- No major ingredients are likely to cause allergic reactions in dogs
- It contains good amounts of omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids, which help maintain healthy skin and coat
- Picky dog eaters might find it hard to eat the kibble since it is larger than usual
- The natural ingredients mean that this might be more expensive than most other dog foods on the market
- The protein content for this product may not be appropriate for some dogs
If you want to give your furry friend a healthy and delicious treat of lamb meat. Taste of The Wild Roasted Lamb will make that happen. This lean meat for cardiac health contains higher protein and omega-3 fatty acids to help maintain a healthy immune system.
It contains many Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids, which help maintain healthy skin and coat. It’s a nutrient-rich dog food with good vitamins and minerals to promote a healthy immune system. It also comes with reasonable amounts of probiotics to help boost the digestion of your canine buddy.
The low sodium dog food for heart murmur will ensure your canine friend gets a balanced diet. The protein content of this dog food is more than the other products in the taste of the Wild range.
- It contains safe ingredients that are suitable for all kinds of dogs
- It contains no corn, wheat, or any artificial flavors that may harm your dog
- Provides a balanced diet for your dog
- The dog food has a great flavor and a delicious smell of lamb meal
- High amounts of protein may harm a dog with a heart murmur or a sensitive stomach
- It may not suit puppies less than half a year old
- If your furry friend is very picky, then they might not want to eat this food because it can be dry at times
Taste Of The Wild Roasted Lamb Dog Food For Heart Murmur bags come at an affordable cost. It’s a good product for healthy body weight gain and muscle mass. It will no doubt help your dog to stay healthy and happy.
Looking for low sodium wet dog food for heart murmur? Hill’s got you covered with this product, which is meant specifically for dogs suffering from heart disease. Not only does it have a low salt content, but it also contains lower levels of protein and fat than most other wet dog food brands out there.
Like any other Hill’s Prescription Diet products, this option has been made with the advice of veterinarians, specifically for dogs with heart conditions such as murmur or even congestive heart failure. The diet is low in sodium to help with high blood pressure and promote a healthy heart.
The food contains clinically proven nutrients such as L-Carnitine and Taurine to help support heart health and reduce the effects of some diseases.
This wet dog food for heart murmur is also formulated with antioxidants, minerals, and other essential nutrients to boost immune function while keeping joints strong and healthy.
- Since it’s a wet food diet, it’s easy for different types of dogs to digest
- All the ingredients used in this product are clinically proven and healthy for dogs
- This product is not too expensive and comes in a variety of flavors that your dog can choose from
- Contains proper levels of protein and phosphorous for improved kidney function
- You need a vet’s prescription to order this dog food
Hill’s Prescription Diet is the best wet dog food for heart murmur. Though you need a prescription to get it, its benefits are worth the trouble.
What is the best food to feed a dog with a heart murmur?
Several brands are making the best food that can stabilize heart muscle cells and help with conditions such as heart murmurs and congestive heart failure. All you have to ensure is that the food you’re getting has the right ingredients for your buddy and low sodium chloride content.
Is homemade dog food suitable for a heart murmur?
Homemade dog foods usually contain no additives or artificial flavors to harm your dog. They’re perfect for dogs with a heart murmur, but you have to ensure they contain the right ingredients and ensure low sodium intake. Also, consult your vet before coming up with any home recipes to feed a dog with a heart murmur.
What can you do for a dog with a heart murmur?
While there’s no proven direct treatment for dogs with a heart murmur, the best you can do for your pup is give them a proper diet and good care. Ensure you take them to a qualified vet to check their conditions and prescribe the proper diet and handling.
Can you reverse a heart murmur in dogs?
Dogs don’t come with heart murmurs, so you can’t reverse it. But, there are cases where surgery or medication may be done to treat the symptoms of heart diseases in dogs. Your vet may understand this better, considering the severity of the condition.
Does grain-free food cause heart murmur in dogs?
Foods marketed as grain-free may not be good as far as your dog’s heart health is concerned. There is a controversial debate that seems to concern pet owners. On the one hand, grain-free diets have been believed to have played a role in canine heart disease, including heart murmurs. Ensure you consult your vet about the best whole grains diet for your furry friend to manage or prevent heart disease.
How long can my dog live with a heart murmur?
If your dog is diagnosed with a heart murmur, no need to worry because many dogs still live a long time with this condition. As long as you take very good care of your furry friend, buy foods for dogs with heart murmurs and consult your vet often, your pup may still live its life to the foolest.
Can you walk a dog with a heart murmur?
Many vets say that you can walk your dog with a heart murmur, as many dogs live an average life span with this condition. In some cases, increased effort on the owner’s part is required for walking and playing as it may be tiring for the dog.
How serious is a heart murmur in a dog?
While a heart murmur may sound serious and even make the dog owners panic, sometimes it might not be fatal. Some are even classified as innocent heart murmurs and may disappear with time. Your vet may be able to tell you more about how severe the condition is after testing your dog.
How can I help my dog with a heart murmur?
With an innocent heart murmur, just taking the dog for a walk will be ok as it is not too difficult to do so. Just make sure you take your time and avoid going up and down slopes as much as you can. This will help reduce the dog’s heart disease progression and prolong their life.
Apart from the prescription diets, some dogs may need medication to maintain their heart health, but this depends on their case and symptoms identified by the vet. Also, don’t forget a proper diet and weight management regardless of the condition.
Some of the most popular dog breeds may have heart murmur:
- Golden Retriever
- Labrador Retriever
- Cavalier King Charles Spaniel
- Miniature Poodle
- Doberman Pinscher
- Great Dane
The best food for a dog with a heart murmur contains carefully selected ingredients with nutrients formulated to help improve the condition. You need a diet that will help improve your pup’s immune system, lower stress, and, of course, provide proper nutrition.
With the above list of best dog foods for heart murmur, you can be sure that you’re getting everything your furry friend needs to live a longer and healthy life. These foods are carefully selected based on their ingredients, reviews, and ratings. It’s also important to note that dogs may have different stages of heart murmurs. This is why you need to take the time to identify your dog’s case before you buy any product. A qualified vet may be of help here.