Your dog’s crate is one of the essential things you need to have as a dog owner, especially if you travel a lot with your furry friend. A good crate will help reduce anxiety and make the pup feel at home. You can find dog crates made of different materials, including plastic, wire, and wood. The best modern dog crate needs to have a contemporary design for your home and be comfortable for your dog. In this article, we’ll look at beautiful dog crates that fit nicely into your home or even become an eye-catching architectural piece.
However, finding a beautiful modern dog crate that suits both you and your furry friend’s needs can be an uphill task, especially if you’re doing this for the first time.
10 Beautiful Modern Dog Crates for Your Home
We have compiled a list of the best modern dog crates currently available in the market for you to choose from. We also have a comprehensive guide to help you choose the best crate that your canine buddy will enjoy. Well, if you’ve already identified the crate you want for your dog, you can go straight to this link.
- Unipaws Cushion Wooden Kennels Chew Proof– Best Overall
- PENN PLAX Sophisticated Modern Dog Crate – Best Contemporary Desing
- Casual Home Wooden Medium Espresso – Most Affordable
- Furpezoo Home Wooden Dog Crate – Most Durable Option
- FEANDREA Wooden Dog Crate – Best for Large Breeds
- Staart – Radius Wooden Dog Crate – Most Stylish
- Casual Home Wooden Lattice Pet Crate – Traditional Design
- ECOFLEX Homestead Sliding Barn Door Furniture Style Dog Crate – Best Value
- Lovupet Wooden Portable Foldable Pet Crate – Best Quality
How to Choose the Best Modern Dog Crate
Before you choose your ideal dog crate, you need to know a few things about them to narrow your search. Here are a few considerations to put in mind when choosing the best modern dog crate.
The Size of Your Dog
Your puppy’s size is the first thing you need to consider when choosing a modern dog crate. The crate’s height should be perfect for your pet to stand up and move around freely without making any adjustments.
If your pooch is bigger, opt for a crate with enough space to let them stand up and move around without too much restriction. Some wire crates come with an extension that will accommodate larger-sized dogs.
Every owner must take the material used to make the crate seriously because it determines how lightweight it is. This way, you’ll have an easier time transporting it from one location to another with your pet inside without straining yourself too much and wasting a lot of your energy. Most common dog crates are made of wood, wire, and plastic.
The Purpose of Your Crate
Aside from considering the size and material used in manufacturing the modern dog crate, you must also know its purpose for your pet. If you get a carrier, it will serve as a place for your dog to rest and sleep in when at home or after playing outdoors. On the other hand, a wire crate is specially designed for pets who love to travel and stay most of the time, such as hunting dogs and working breeds outdoors.
Your Dog’s Temperament and Age
Your dog’s temperament and age play a big role in determining the kind of crate you will choose for him. Some crates are designed to be perfect for both puppies and adult dogs, while others suit only one particular stage in their lives. If your doggy is known for getting too anxious or destructive when left alone, you should choose a kennel that has two or three latches and is made of material that’s harder to break into.
The design of the crate will determine how comfortable your furry friend will be while inside. Some have mesh shelves that provide comfort for your dog by wicking away his sweat. They also come with sturdy handles that make it easy for you to carry them from one location to another.
Dog Crate Type
There are three major types of dog crates that you can choose from. You can either go for the regular metal crate, plastic dog crate, or wire dog crate. The type to choose depends on your dog’s size and age. For example, if you’re getting a crate for an adult pup who will grow to be too large in the future, go for one that has half walls or even just a metal divider with double doors.
Best Modern Dog Crates Reviewed
1. Unipaws Cushion Wooden Kennels Chew Proof– Best Overall
Unipaws is one of the market leaders for dog gear, and you can never go wrong with their dog crates. The Cushion Wooden Kennels are an example of how good their products are. This unique modern dog crate is made from top-quality material, ensuring that it lasts long without needing any repairs or replacements.
The Unipaws Cushion Wooden Dog Kennels has a sturdy wooden frame with four metal bowls in the bottom. They also come with two rear handles for easy transportation, rubber feet to keep them from moving around, and a removable wooden platform on the top.
The kennel ensures the dog can move around easily while inside, has proper ventilation, and offers a comfortable cushion that makes it cozy. It’s hard to go wrong with this one because it doubles as a dog carrier and pet bed.
- It’s a beautifully made dog crate
- Easy to set up
- It comes with a removable padded cushion
- Offers unmatched comfort
- Wooden crates are not that easy to clean.
If you’re looking for a modern wood dog crate suitable for small dogs, this crate is a very safe and suitable option. The crate fits dogs weighing up to 40 pounds and is made with the perfect material.
2. PENN PLAX Modern Sophisticated Dog Crate – Best Looking
For those who love to buy items that match the home decor and furniture, you can never go wrong with this modern dog crate from PENN PLAX. The crate is both functional and stylish, thanks to its modern design. It can comfortably accommodate dogs that come in small and medium sizes of up to 40 lbs.
The PENN PLAX Modern Dog Crate has removable dividers, which you can use to section off the crate depending on how big your pup grows. It also comes with a removable floor mat, making cleaning up easier after the pooch has finished his business.
- It’s a modern-looking crate that will match any home design and decor
- Suitable for medium, small dogs, and puppies
- It’s functional and easy to set up
- It’s sturdy enough to withstand most pet activities
- It comes with a removable puppy divider for adjusting the size of the crate as your puppy grows
- The crate is not that ideal for larger breeds
- Not made from the highest quality material
If you purchase this dog crate, you can be assured of comfort for your furry friend. The removable grill makes it easy to clean after your puppy has finished doing his business inside.
3. Casual Home Wooden Medium Espresso – Most Affordable
For the dog who loves to chew things making the owners worried about the longevity of their dog kennels, you have a solution now. The Casula Home Wooden Crate is made from truly high-quality material and can withstand even the most chew-happy pups.
The modern crate has a beautiful wood finish which gives it a classy look and makes it look like furniture instead of a dog kennel. It has excellent ventilation on each side and also comes with two plastic bowls for food and water storage. It’s also easy to clean when the time comes.
- It’s made from high-quality wood, which makes it very durable
- Suitable for medium and large dogs with a weight limit of up to 120lbs
- The crate is beautiful and stylish with its wood finish design
- Affordable price
- It’s light and easy to move around or store
- Somewhat difficult to put together
The Casula Home Wooden Crate stands out because it looks more like furniture than a crate. It’s very high-quality and durable, having been made from a wood finish which makes it rust-resistant. The design is also quite simple, making it easy to clean up after your puppy has finished using the crate.
4. Furpezoo Home Wooden Dog Crate – Most Durable Option
The Furpezoo Home Wooden Dog Crate is another stylish dog crate you can trust to give your furry friend the comfort he deserves. It’s made from wood which gives it an exquisite look and makes it easy to clean even after heavy-duty use. The crate has an overall dimension of 31.5’Wx19.7”Dx22”H, allowing it to accommodate large and medium dogs.
The modern dog crate end table is also easy to set up and store, making it ideal for people with limited space in the room or apartment. It comes with a removable tray which makes cleaning much easier too.
- Stylish wooden construction that can also work well as a bedside table
- Easy to assemble
- It provides a safe space for most dogs thanks to the comfort it offers
- Easy to clean
- Made from sturdy and durable wood that offers heavy-duty construction
- It’s not easy to adjust the size of this modern dog crate because the slats are tightly fixed
This modern dog crate will be sure to bring that luxurious feel to your home, thanks to its fine wood design. The modern wood crate can accommodate medium and large dogs and will make it perfect for any dog owner. With its removable tray, you can clean it up without much hassle after your dog has used the crate.
5. FEANDREA Wooden Dog Crate – Best for Large Breeds
This is one of the unique dog crates ideal for those with shy dogs who find it hard to adjust to a new environment. The FEANDREA Wooden Dog Crate end table has a safe, enclosed design that will give your shy pooch the privacy they deserve. It’s easy to move around and comes with removable dividers for adjusting the crate sizes as your puppy grows.
The modern home dog house is made from quality wood construction, making it both durable and sturdy. The wooden crate with a wide top can accommodate dogs weighing up to 154lb, making it perfect for larger breeds. The crate is easy to assemble, comes with a unique color, and is very durable.
- Easy to assemble, the crate comes with an easy-to-follow guide on how to put it together
- Safe for your dog thanks to its closed design
- It comes with removable dividers for adjusting the size at no additional cost
- Perfect for shy pups thanks to the privacy it offers
- Can accommodate large breeds
- The crate is not shipped assembled; you have to assemble it yourself
Feandrea dog crate will give your dog the needed privacy they deserve. It’s also sturdy and durable, making it ideal for larger breeds. If you’re looking for a stylish and safe place for your dog, this is an option worth considering.
6. Staart – Radius Wooden Dog Crate – Most Stylish
The moment you look at this dog crate, you’ll first notice its beautiful and stylish design. For a moment, you won’t even think it’s a dog crate, thanks to its beautiful design. The Staart Radius Wooden Dog Crate has two doors making it easy to access your dog from both sides. The crate is made from steel and wood, which gives it a very sturdy and durable design.
It’s lightweight but still big enough to accommodate small, medium, and large dogs up to 120lbs for the small crate while 160lbs for the large modern dog crate. Thanks to the design of this crate, it’s an excellent fit for small apartments and homes, perfect for saving space.
- Stylish wooden dog crate end table design
- Very durable thanks to its combination of steel and wood
- Ideal for smaller dogs as well as larger breeds
- Features lightweight construction
- Spacious enough to provide your furry friend with all the comfort they deserve
- Some users are disappointed and the quality of material used for making the crate
This modern dog crate will easily blend into any decor you have in your home. It’s also durable and sturdy, making it a great choice for larger breeds. If you’re on the lookout for a dog house that will make your house look more stylish, this is an option worth considering.
7. Casual Home Wooden Lattice Pet Crate – Traditional Design
If simplicity is your main goal when looking at dog crates, you can never go wrong with this dog crate from Casual Home. It has a traditional design and is perfect for pooches who need to spend some time in the crate until they become familiar with it.
The modern dog crate comes with a removable divider which you can use for adjusting the size as your puppy grows to make it great for dogs up to 175lbs. The easy-to-assemble dog crate features a lightweight design which makes it perfect for moving it into different locations in your home. It also comes with a lockable gate that gives you peace of mind when you’re not close to your pets.
- Made from sturdy and durable wood material
- Features a traditional design that blends well with any home decor
- It comes with a removable divider for adjusting the size so, you don’t buy a new crate
- Lightweight making it ideal when you have to move it around
- It doesn’t have a removable floor pan
This modern dog crate is sturdy, durable, and easy to assemble. It’s light, which makes it ideal for moving around for cleaning your home. The traditional design makes it perfect for the home while still offering all the necessary features you’ll need for your dog when they’re in their crate. For example, room enough for a toys or a water bowl.
8. ECOFLEX Homestead Sliding Barn Door Furniture Style Dog Crate – Best Value
This dog crate is made of ECOFLEX, a material that combines fabric and wood. The ECOFLEX Dog Crate comes with a sliding door at the front, making it easy to access your dog from either side of the crate without opening both doors.
It’s great for medium dog breeds up to 55lbs for medium sizes, 56lbs for a large version, and 62lbs for the extra-large crate. The dog crate also comes with a removable pan which you can use to clean more easily.
The modern dog crate is lightweight yet durable, making it perfect for moving from one place to another. It’s also stylish, thanks to its unique furniture design.
- Features a sliding front door for easy access to your dog
- Well crafted and durable design thanks to its ECOFLEX material
- It has a removable plastic pan for quick and easy cleaning
- Perfect for medium breeds
- Stylish modern dog crate furniture design
- Some users feel the quality of the materials used in making the crate is too poor.
This pet crate provides a wonderful place for your furry friends to hang out whenever they need some privacy, as other den animals do. It also gives dog owners easy access to their pets.
9. Lovupet Wooden Portable Foldable Pet Crate – Best Quality
The Lovupet Wooden modern indoor dog crate and also suitable for outdoor use. The wooden crate folds flat for easy storage and transportation. It’s lightweight yet very sturdy and durable, thanks to its durable metal and wood combination construction.
The Lovupet Wooden Crate is suitable for smaller dogs, breeds requiring a crate until they become familiar with their new home, and a new puppy with separation anxiety. The uniquely designed modern dog crate furniture comes with two trays that can be used for your pet’s food and water. It also has a carrying handle making it easy to carry from place to place.
- Great for indoor use, outdoor use, separation anxiety, and crate house training
- Made from sturdy and durable materials
- It folds up flat for easy storage while traveling or when not in use
- Stylish and unique design
- Some users feel the carrying handle is too small for comfort.
- Others say it takes a while to assemble this crate.
This modern dog crate provides all the features and durability you’ll need for your home or travels with your pet in tow. It’s stylish and has a uniquely designed mesh front door making it easy to use and accessible for you and your pet.
Are wooden crates good for dogs?
Wooden crates are great at keeping your pet safe and secure while you’re away. They also help in preventing your buddy from barking excessively or chewing on things during the nighttime hours. Wood is a natural material making it suitable for dogs with allergies triggered by other materials such as plastic.
Is it cruel to cover a dog crate?
Sometimes, having an option to hide away from prying eyes makes a dog feel cozy. You can cover your pet’s crate as long as you make sure there is also adequate ventilation.
How do I know what size crate to get for my dog?
You’ll need to know the exact weight of your dog as well as its height. You can use a tape measure to make sure you get the right size for your pet and home.
Which type of dog crate is best?
A plastic pet crate is lightweight, durable, and easy to clean, making it the most popular available material for dog crates. The best modern dog kennel is the one you feel most comfortable with and suits your furry friend, which can be plastic, wood, or mesh.
What do I do if my puppy won’t stop crying in his crate?
You’ll need to find out why your pet is engaging in this behavior. Is it because they feel insecure, have diarrhea, or have an upset stomach? Once you’ve figured out the problem, you can start using crate training techniques to help your puppy adjust to his new home.
Do dogs like big or small crates?
Smaller crates are suitable for pups with a private spot they’d like to sleep or hang out in. Bigger crates work well with pups that don’t mind sharing space with other pets and those who aren’t as territorial about their personal space.
Should I lock my puppy in his crate at night?
It’s not cruel to lock your dog in his crate at night, even if he cries the whole time. The best thing you can do for him is to allow him to get used to sleeping without anyone around while preventing him from waking up everyone else in the house.
Are wire, wood, or plastic crates better?
The best modern dog crates mimic furniture designs and are made from wood. They’re lightweight and easy to clean. If you want a beautiful wooden crate, choose those that match your home. An added bonus is if it can fold flat as these are easy to store when not in use. Wire crates are the most durable, but they’re also more difficult to clean and carry around.
Whether you need a crate for traveling with your furry friend by your side or if you want to prevent him from chewing on things around your home while you’re away, you’ll find the best option waiting for you here. Don’t forget to check on the section about things to look for when buying a dog crate because it’s packed with useful bits of information that will help you to narrow your search.
Once you’ve selected the type of crate, you’ll need to compare various brands and models to find one to meet your needs in style, functionality, durability, portability, or price. Always feel free to contact your vet if you have doubts.