If you have a Yorkie, then you have come to the right place! Or if you are a dog fan, you have certainly heard about Yorkshire Terrier or Yorkie, for short. This is a small terrier breed with a long coat of tan, gray, and black. These dogs are picky eaters, but there is the best dog food for Yorkies to ensure proper nourishment.
Before we get into the food details, let’s look at Yorkshire Terrier or Yorkie. Yorkie has become an all-time favorite pet for many dog lovers because of their small size and long coat. However, this feisty breed is also seen to be a loving and loyal companion.
Their long coat lets you style your little furry friend in a special way to make him or her a head-turner. Especially in places where they’re not commonly encountered.
One thing to note about this breed is that they can be quite noisy and may not be suitable for households with small children.
Yorkies have a delicate digestive system; therefore, it’s always best to be cautious about what to feed your small dog. Also, they can be quite picky eaters, that’s why you should find the dog food which they will love the most.
The Best Dog Food for Yorkies
We researched dozens of products and came up with the list below. You can go to in-depth reviews with pros and cons and decide for yourself what is the best dog food for Yorkies. Or… If you want to get right to the products, click the links below.
- Hill’s Science Diet Dry Dog Food
- Cesar Gourmet Wet Dog Food
- WholeHearted Grain Free Small-Breed Chicken and Pea Recipe Adult Dry Dog Food
- CARNA4 Easy-chew Fish Formula Sprouted Seeds Dog Food
- CANIDAE Pure Real Lamb Goat and Venison, Limited Ingredient Grain-Free Premium Dry Dog Food
- Merrick Classic Healthy Grain Dog Food with Real Meat
- Royal Canin Small Puppy Dry Dog Food
- Wellness Complete Health Natural Wet Canned Dog Food
- Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Natural Adult Small Breed Dry Dog Food
- Solid Gold -Star Chaser-Chicken Brown with Vegetables
What Is the Best Dog Food To Feed A Yorkie?
As a Yorkie owner, one of your responsibilities is ensuring your dog’s nutritional needs are well met. Whatever you decide to feed your Yorkie can either have a positive or detrimental effect on your canine. With this in mind, what is the best dog food for Yorkies?
With their fast metabolism, Yorkies need dog food with lots of calories and nutrients. Furthermore, there are vital ingredients you need to check in every dog food you offer this canine.
First, always ensure the dog food has enough proteins. Whether plant or animal-based, proteins ensure that Yorkies have well-built muscles they need for their active lifestyles.
Adult Yorkie food should not contain less than 18% of protein. In comparison, puppies and lactating mothers should not be less than 22.5 %. ~ The Association of American Feed Control
To maintain your Yorkie’s silky coat, check that the dog food has healthy fats in it. The best source of those fats is omega 3 fatty acid.
Another important group of nutrients for Yorkies is carbohydrates. However, carbs should only be a small part of Yorkie’s diet as many forms of carbs are indigestible for dogs.
What about allergies? Some pet parents need to know what’s the best dog food for Yorkies with allergies. Talk to your vet when you note your Yorkie reacts differently when offered certain foods. You will find some Yorkies who are allergic to fillers, by-products, artificial flavors, and other ingredients incorporate in Yorkies dog food.
If Yorkies are allergic, veterinaries propose a limited ingredient diet (often labeled as L.I.D). LID-food provides the Yorkie with all the essential nutrients and leaves out everything that might cause problems.
Highlights: When selecting the best dog food for Yorkies, check for small kibble sizes, remember Yorkies have small mouths, and the dog food needs to be tiny for easy chewing and swallowing. In some cases, I get larger kibble for my small dog to slow down the eating process of really fast eaters.
Top 5 Best Dog Food for Yorkies
Setting the best for your Yorkie friend, it’s always the right instinct to check the list of much-suggested dog food for him or her. This gesture will most certainly lead your dog into a much healthier state.
If you’re confused about what to buy, here are five dog food brands that might be the best choice for your dog’s nutritional needs.
1. Hill’s Science Diet Dry Dog Food
This particular dog food from Hill’s Science Diet is specially formulated for small breeds to help them digest the food easily. And this makes it one of the best dog food for Yorkies.
Manufactured in two different flavors, specifically chicken and lamb with rice, this top-rated dog food contains omega-6 fatty acid for a shinier coat and healthier skin and high protein content.
Also, this product contains antioxidants to protect your dog against infection. No artificial colors or flavors were added in making this product.
- Contains omega-6 fatty acid advantageous for your Yorkie’s fur and skin
- The antioxidant present makes your Yorkie immune against infection
- The ingredients used in making this product may not be suitable for some dogs
- Some dogs may experience diarrhea due to sensitivity in some contents of the product
2. Cesar Gourmet Wet Dog Food
Giving your dog a good taste of Cesar Gourmet will surely make them lick their bowl until its very last drop due to its savory flavor.
Surely, they’ll start wagging their tail and keep barking at you until they get to taste this product again finally.
It comes in different flavors for you to feed for your Yorkie. This way, they’ll be able to enjoy the product as much as they can without feeling fed up with the flavor.
This product has met the right nutritional level by the AAFCO dog food nutrient profiles.
- It comes in 6 different packagings: breakfast and dinner, chicken and top sirloin, filet mignon, porterhouse, and filet mignon, pot roast, poultry, and steak lover’s
- Contains the necessary vitamins and minerals, especially for small breeds like Yorkies, to establish a healthy appearance and overall health
- Less complicated to chew for dogs since it’s softer – smaller dogs can enjoy the meal even better
- Some dogs may experience sensitivity due to the ingredients mixed in the product
- Diarrhea can be a common problem on some dogs as a reaction to the product’s ingredients
3. WholeHearted Grain Free Small-Breed Chicken and Pea Recipe Adult Dry Dog Food
This dog food, which is very much suitable for small breeds, prioritizes real meat protein as part of its ingredients.
Protein is necessary for dogs to keep their muscles strong and healthy. No artificial flavor and color is added to this dog food mix, making it safe for your pooch for ingesting.
In this package, a special-sized kibble is available for your dogs to chew. This kibble reduces tartar formation on your Yorkie’s teeth.
- Chicken, an all-time favorite flavor, is this product’s main ingredient
- Calcium and phosphorus are one of the mainly focused minerals to give your Yorkie stronger teeth and bones
- Probiotics are also mixed in the dog food for healthy digestion
- Some dogs may be allergic to chicken and may experience itchiness
- Certain ingredients may irritate your dog’s stomach, in which they start to experience diarrhea and vomiting
4. CARNA4 Easy-chew Fish Formula Sprouted Seeds Dog Food
Fish may not be a common constituent in dog food, but your little furry friend will surely love this meal due to its tasty flavor. Not only that, its easy-chew process makes your dog’s eating experience even smoother.
As they manufacture this product, they make sure to test it for pathogens and toxins before releasing it in the market for purchase. The ingredients added contains the necessary nutrients for your dog to stay healthy and nourished.
- It’s easy-chew dry dog food, which makes your dog’s nibbling process more manageable and less prone to teeth breakage
- The pieces are manufactured in small portions to ensure that small dog and puppies can eat the food with ease
- Some dogs may not fully enjoy the food due to the flavor since not all dogs are into fish
- Some of the ingredients used in making this product may irritate your dog’s stomach, causing diarrhea and vomiting
Made from 10 or fewer ingredients, this dog food certainly gives only the necessary components needed for your Yorkie; therefore, making your little furry baby less exposed to certain ingredients that may cause allergic reactions.
It’s also grain-free, so dogs sensitive to such ingredients won’t have to undergo stomach discomfort.
It comes in 6 different flavors for your dog to enjoy chewing. As one of the best dog food for Yorkies, it’s worth every penny.
- It only contains fewer ingredients, which only allows you to feed your dog with the needed nutrients instead
- This dry dog food is perfect for dogs with a sensitive stomach since it’s grain-free
- Although it contains lesser ingredients than other dog food products, some dogs may still experience diarrhea or vomiting due to the constituents found in this product
- Some dogs may not see the smell of the dog food pleasing
6. Merrick Classic Healthy Grain Dog Food with Real Meat
This dog food has real deboned chicken as the first ingredient. This chicken is a high protein source that supports lean and strong muscles on your Yorkie. Additionally, this dog food suitable for Yorkies has high levels of glucosamine and chondroitin that repair and protect your Yorkshire terrier hips and joints. Consequently, this recipe has a unique blend of healthy grains with plenty of fiber to support digestion.
Other grains like brown rice and barley in this recipe are healthy sources of carbs that provide your dog with the energy that he needs to romp in your backyard.
This recipe has high levels of omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids. These omegas sourced from flaxseed and sunflower oil give your Yorkie a healthy coat. These fatty acids also help support your dog’s joint health by eliminating any inflammation.
Additionally, this Merrick Classic Healthy Grain Dog Food has a blend of minerals, vitamins, and antioxidants that will meet your pet’s needs.
Furthermore, this dry dog food has small-sized kibbles that make it easy for your Yorkie to pick up and chew. Lastly, the natural flavor in this delicious recipe will see your picky dog lick the bowl clean.
While going through most verified reviews, most dog owners like the ingredients in this high-quality recipe. Some appreciate that this is the only dog food that their picky eaters are consuming with no trouble. However, other dog parents say the price of this recipe is way up.
- With animal protein as the first ingredient
- With glucosamine and chondroitin for your Yorkie’s joint health
- Rich in omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids for coat health
- Made in the USA
- No artificial flavors, preservatives, or animal by-products
- With grains that are unsuitable for Yorkies with sensitive stomachs
7. Royal Canin Small Puppy Dry Dog Food
The Royal Canin Small Puppy Dry Dog Food is a super delicious and balanced diet tailored for puppies up to 10 months, weighing between 9-22 pounds.
This recipe from Royal Canin ensures it provides the required energy needed during the short and intensive growth phase. The key ingredients in this dog food that provide carbs for your Yorkies include rice, wheat, gluten meal, and corn.
Another thing, this recipe has prebiotics that supports the health of your dog’s digestive system.
The exclusive blend of antioxidants, minerals, and vitamins sourced from healthy ingredients supports your dog’s general well-being.
This Royal Canin recipe also features protein sources that support the health of your pup’s growing muscles.
This dry dog for Yorkies has omega fatty acids derived from fish oil, ensuring your Yorkie has an attractive shiny coat.
Noteworthy, this recipe comes with a unique kibble size and texture, ensuring your toy breed finds it easy to pick up and chew every kibble.
When going through top verified reviews, some pet parents like how their dogs have improved after consuming this recipe. However, some pet parents complain that this recipe quality has been deteriorating.
- Best dog food for puppies under 10 months
- With prebiotics to nurture your Yorkies digestive system
- Well sized kibbles to promote chewing
- Rich in minerals, vitamins, and amino acids
- Plenty of omega fatty acids
- With low-quality protein sources
8. Wellness Complete Health Natural Wet Canned Dog Food
Wellness Complete Health Natural Wet Canned Dog Food is a recipe full of high-quality ingredients that support your dog’s general well-being.
Veterinarians and animal nutritionists select these ingredients in this recipe to ensure your dog gets a healthy, nutrient-dense recipe with an excellent taste
Worth noting, this wet dog food has quality protein sources that support your Yorkies’ muscle health.
The sweet potato in this wet dog food for Yorkies is rich in dietary fibers that support your dog’s digestive system. Additionally, this sweet potato is a healthy source of complex carbs that provide your Yorkie with much-needed energy. Consequently, this dog recipe has antioxidants that will support your Yorkie’s immune system. With strong immunity, vet visits will now be a thing of the past.
Finally, all the ingredients in this recipe are delicious and ensure they deliver an irresistible taste that your Yorkie has never come across.
On checking on all reviews this recipe has on the web, 83 % of them are 5 stars showing that this dog is making many dog parents happy. The only concern we can see is that most reviews complain that the price of this dog food keeps on rising.
- Natural ingredients used
- High-quality protein levels
- Wet food with high fiber content to support digestion
9. Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Natural Adult Small Breed Dry Dog Food
This Blue Buffalo recipe has ingredients carefully selected by holistic veterinarians and animal nutritionists to meet your toy breed nutritional needs.
The first ingredient you will find in this diet is deboned chicken. This deboned chicken is rich in proteins that repair and strengthen your small dog’s muscle.
Another thing, this recipe’s high-quality proteins and wholesome grains like brown rice will provide the necessary energy for your toy breed.
Furthermore, this food for Yorkies has wholesome and healthy garden veggies rich in nutrients that support your dog’s general well-being. The healthy fruits included in this recipe are a crucial source of antioxidants that will support your dog’s immune system.
The menhaden fish meal is an essential source of omega 3. This omega 3 ensures your Yorkies have healthy skin and coats. The flaxseed oil in this diet is rich in omega 6, which ensures your dog’s cognitive function is strong.
This Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Adult Small Breed Dry Dog Food is free from chicken by-products, corn, or wheat, which can cause tummy issues in your Yorkie.
As a key highlight, this dog food has unique kibble with a perfect size considerate of your Yorkie’s small jaw.
- Rich in omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids
- Real meat is the first ingredient
- No artificial ingredients
- Healthy garden vegetables that provide vital nutrients
- Some pet owners complain that the kibble on this recipe is tiny
10. Solid Gold -Star Chaser-Chicken Brown with Vegetables
The Solid Gold -Star Chaser-Chicken Brown with Vegetables is another choice for those with Yorkies who prefer wet food. The first ingredient in this nutritious recipe is cage-free chicken, which provides enough proteins to nourish your dog’s muscles.
Next, this recipe has non-GMO whole grains like brown rice and barley that support healthy digestion on your toy breed. Other than that, this brown rice and barley are vital sources of carbohydrates that provide energy to your Yorkshire terrier.
Moreover, this dog food has plenty of superfoods that are crucial sources of antioxidants that support your dog’s immune system.
Again, these superfoods are a great source of multivitamins and minerals that help your dog thrive.
Lastly, this Solid Gold -Star Chaser-Chicken Brown with Vegetables has omega fatty acids that support your dog’s coat health. After consuming this recipe, your Yorkie will have a beautiful coat that will shed less fur.
- Healthy sourced ingredients to help your Yorkies thrive
- Plenty of beneficial fatty acids like omega 3 and omega 6
- Rich in probiotics that support your dog’s gut health
- Non-GMO whole grains rich in fiber
- Expensive dog food
Benefits of Dog Food for Your Yorkies
It’s no question that dog food is rich in vitamins and nutrients needed for your Yorkie to feel healthy overall. Still, an in-depth discussion about its benefits will convince you to make a significant switch from risky diets like raw meat and processed food to nutritious ones that have been tested for their wellbeing.
The benefits of dog food include shinier coats, healthier skin, better-looking waste, and increased energy levels. Seeing your Yorkie under these conditions will make them even more adorable than looking malnourished and sickly.
How to Choose the Best Dog Food for Yorkie?
Tons of dog foods are queued in the market for purchase, each of them claiming to be the best product for your Yorkie. However, not all claims declared by other manufacturers are true to their words. Instead of leading your dog to positive changes, your Yorkie will, instead, start experiencing the adverse side effects of cheaply made dog food like fur loss, damaged organs, or worse, death.
To prevent either of these tragic events to occur, it’s always best to seek medical advice from your dog’s veterinarian. Hearing their recommendation is still the safest option as they ensure your dog’s wellbeing.
Apart from visiting the veterinarian, you can also do some intensive research online to know more about the ingredients mixed in dog food. A recommendation is also suggested, regardless if it’s addressed to you personally or through online forums.
What to Consider When Buying Dog Food for Yorkies?
Like humans, dogs also have their own nutritional needs to keep their bodies healthy. Dog foods have a general aim to promote all dogs’ wellbeing, yet this goal is impossible to occur since each dog has a different health status – their demands are different from others.
To start, choose dog food that’s suitable for your Yorkie’s age. There are heaps of dog food products endorsed in physical stores and online, but it’s also essential to ponder on precise specifications needed.
The first you need to take into consideration is your dog’s age. The dog foods sold in markets have different formulations – they can be specific to particular age groups like puppies or adults. Another consideration would be your dog’s size. Small breeds have different formulas from large ones.
To see your Yorkie’s growth progress, it’s best to seek professional help from the veterinarian and have your dog assessed to know what food requirement is vital for your fur baby.
What Flavor to Give to Yorkies?
As mentioned, Yorkies are picky eaters; hence, you should be very careful which flavors to choose for you not to end up wasting your money for nothing. There are tons of dog foods that offer a variety of flavors, ranging from chicken meat, lamb meat, and even fish. With a massive selection of these tasty flavors, you won’t have to ponder longer as to which one to try out to your Yorkie first.
In addition, some flavors may cause an allergic reaction to your Yorkie. If ever this occurs to your fur baby, immediately stop feeding him or her the product and switch to a different flavor to prevent complications from occurring.
Best Dog Food for Yorkies FAQ
What is Table Food? Is It Safe for Dogs?
Table food is those types of foods consumed by humans. In the past, people immediately feed their dogs with their leftovers for them not to produce much food wastages.
Back then, people find it quite tricky why dogs suddenly become ill after eating particular ingredients, but with today’s technology, people have finally managed to list down the type of food poisonous to dogs.
However, like humans, dogs have also undergone significant food changes. Thus, with constant research, manufacturers have finally made exclusive food products for dogs sans those toxic food products eaten by humans.
Although some still opt to feed their dog with table food, veterinarians highly suggest pet owners feed their dogs with dog food to minimize indigestion, food poisoning, and for better nutrients and mineral distribution in the dog’s body.
Dog Food or Table Food for Yorkies?
Like other dog breeds, Yorkie also needs the necessary nutrients and vitamins in their body to stay healthy and active. While table scraps are less costly in contrast to dog food, some foods are considered hazardous to your dog’s health.
Dog food is a combination of different nutrients and minerals needed for your Yorkie’s body. Several dog food products are tested and assured to be safe for your dog’s consumption. Meanwhile, table food may be readily available for your dog to consume, but not all ingredients are considered safe for your dog’s health.
Therefore, it’s relatively safer to feed your dog with dog food since the ingredients mixed per serving have been carefully hand-picked to avoid mild to life-threatening effects to your fur buddy.
What Foods Are Bad For Yorkies?
I know it can be tricky for a new pet owner to decide what is good or bad for the Yorkies. Nevertheless, here is an outline of some foods that may bring up mild or severe health issues.
Even though tasty, chocolate is never suitable for Yorkies. The reason is chocolate has theobromine which raises your Yorkies’ blood pressure and heart rate.
- Grapes – grapes given in plenty will cause kidney issues. Raisins are dried grapes, avoid them too.
- Onion and garlic- onions and garlic will destroy your Yorkies’ red blood cells.
- Avocado- avocado fruit has a fungicidal toxin that will make your Yorkies develop health issues
- Fatty food
Always ensure your Yorkies get the right amount of fats in the diet. Fatty food like fries and other fast foods will make your dog have a runny stool or even lead to obesity.
- Spoiled food
Don’t let your Yorkie eat anything from the trash box as it may be rotten. Rotten food can at times contain toxic molds, which can be poisonous if consumed.
Also, check and avoid Yorkie food brands that have these contents-
- Chemical preservatives- cause allergies
- Artificial flavors- they cause allergies
- Filler ingredients
- By-products, some food brands will use chicken lungs, intestines, and other animals’ brains to reduce costs.
Note, these products will rarely give your dog the right amount of nutrients it needs. Move away from any brand with these ingredients as they don’t have Yorkies’ interest in their heart; rather, it’s how much profit they make.
Should Yorkies Eat Grain-Free Food?
I know you have heard that some pet lovers have opted for grain-free foods. Right? So what are grain-free foods? Grain-free foods lack grains like wheat, corn, rice, oats, and barley that most dog food brands use as sources of fiber and carbohydrates.
However, most people complain that these grains give their dogs allergies; thus, they opt for food brands with no grains.
Next, these food brands that offer grain-free food seek other carbohydrates alternatives that Yorkies need.
Now, on to the big question, should Yorkies eat grain-free food? Yorkie can eat grains if they don’t suffer from any allergic reaction.
Signs of an allergic reaction that, if noticed, you need to call a vet include.
- Hair loss
- Bald patches
- Watery eyes and eye redness
- Yorkies are more likely to suffer from protein allergies as compared to grain allergies.
- Also, if you never knew, grain-free products contain carbohydrates in them.
Should Yorkies Eat Wet Or Dry Food?
It’s often a headache for any Yorkie owner when deciding which is the best type of food suitable for Yorkies. Is it dry or wet food?
First, even though most people love giving their dogs wet food. They will have to contend with Yorkies who have runny stools or plenty of food particles stuck in their doggies’ mouths.
With the wet food’s smooth nature, puppies who are 1-3 months will prefer such food as their teeth are yet to develop.
And with such puppies, they will thrive on wet food before transitioning into adulthood, where all sets of teeth will be complete.
Worth noting, ensure you chose the best wet food for Yorkie puppies enough to supply them with plenty of calories they need daily. Often you will find puppy Yorkies will need more calories compared to adults. Check that when selecting puppy food for Yorkies.
What of dry food. Dry food is preferred for adult Yorkies, given the structure of teeth and their susceptibility to dental problems. With its texture, dry food will help clean your Yorkies teeth with ease.
Nevertheless, the best dog dry food you decide to give your adult Yorkie needs to have enough calories and nutrients this dog needs.
Again if you have already started feeding your Yorkie on wet food, and you need to transition to dry food, you need to do it in bits. A sudden overhaul will cause gastric issues. Again you can also combine dry and wet food to make the food appealing for the dog.
What Human Food Can My Yorkies Eat?
With their sweet, expressive eyes, Yorkies will always beg for a bite from your plate anytime you are enjoying your meal. And sometimes you will find it hard to resist -But are you doing the right thing?
You know, giving your Yorkie the wrong type of food will cause lots of stomach discomfort. Let it not reach that point. Check what you give your Yorkies.
So here are some of the human food that might be suitable for your Yorkie.
- Bread – bread given to Yorkies in small quantities will cause no harm. Only use bread as a treat when training your Yorkie. You also need to know that breed offers no nutritional value.
- Coconut – coconut has lauric acid, which is a good antibacterial
- Corn – if your Yorkie has no allergies, you can give it corn. Noteworthy, avoid giving your Yorkie the corn cob as it may cause gastric obstruction.
- Cashew nuts – cashew nuts given as treats will provide your Yorkie with calcium, magnesium, and antioxidants.
- Eggs – Boiled or fried egg will cause no harm to your yoke- however, avoid raw eggs.
- Fish (cooked) – fish provide your Yorkie with safe fats and amino acids- you can consider giving your Yorkies sardines as they have digestible bones.
Now you are ready to get the best food for your pet
Yorkshire Terrier or “Yorkie” is a small breed type of dog with long fur that may be styled in different ways. Although they’re low in breed, they can be quite noisy and less friendly, especially when not socially trained.
Given that they have a delicate digestive system, it’s always best to be cautious about what to feed them. In this case, giving them dog food that is suitable for small breeds is highly preferable to prevent minor to significant problems related to digestion.
Since they are picky eaters, it’s always best to feed them with flavorful dog food for them to quickly get tempted to consume their food.
Next, you can check out top-quality dog food from Nature’s Logic
This Post Has 2 Comments
I’m preparing to get a Yorkie and I’m now doing research on everything they would need from food to the kind of training they’ll need. Your site has been very useful for me and I’ve made quite a few notes already. I want to get things right and make sure they get that 22.5% protein as a puppy plus lots of omega 3 fatty acids, etc. I will stay away from artificial flavors and look for prime food that should help keep my Yorkie healthy.
Cesar Gourmet wet dog food is absolutely a must try! I’ve just started using it a week ago and my Yorkie adores it! It’s very easy to chew which is a plus especially for small breeds or older dogs. He didn’t experience any cons from this food.