Taking care of our puppy’s coat is a crucial part of being a pet parent. We understand that you want your puppies to be comfortable, healthy, and happy. Choosing the best puppy shampoo is the ideal way to ensure your puppy maintains great skin and coat health.
If you’re looking for the best puppy shampoo, keep reading and find the perfect one for your little four-legged buddy.
The best puppy shampoo selection for your dog
We analyzed a range of products for this best puppy shampoo roundup. Below you can find detailed reviews with pros and cons. However, if you are in a hurry, just click on any product below
- Burt’s Bees for Dogs Natural Tearless 2 in 1 Dog Shampoo & Conditioner
- Pet Care Tearless Puppy Shampoo and Conditioner
- Earthbath Ultra-Mild Wild Cherry Puppy Shampoo
- Nature’s Miracle Puppy Shampoo
- Oster Oatmeal Essentials Shampoo
- Pet Head Puppy Fun!! Tearless Shampoo
- Arm & Hammer Tearless Puppy Shampoo
- Veterinary Formula Solutions Puppy Love Extra Gentle Tearless Shampoo
- Crazy Dog Baby Dog Shampoo
- TropiClean Shampoos for Pets
- Arava Flea & Tick Control Dog & Puppy Shampoo
- BioSilk for Dogs Silk Therapy Puppy Tearless Shampoo
Do you need special shampoo for puppies?
If you own a furbaby, you need a shampoo that is specifically designed for puppies. The best puppy shampoos are typically milder and gentler. They have a no-tear formula that won’t irritate your puppy if it gets in the eyes. Puppy shampoos are perfect for your pup’s regular bathing needs.
Always opt for the best puppy shampoos with natural ingredients such as oatmeal, aloe vera, coconut, herbal proteins, and vitamins.
How to choose the best puppy shampoo
Here are a few different factors to consider when choosing the best puppy shampoo for your little one.
- pH balanced: A puppy’s skin is slightly less acidic than an adult dog. Choose a puppy shampoo that is pH balanced and is more alkaline.
- No harsh chemicals: Always look for the best puppy shampoo with natural ingredients. You can find information on ingredients on the puppy shampoo label.
- Natural fragrance: Best puppy shampoos are formulated to remove the bad odor with a pleasant fragrance. Avoid shampoos with artificial fragrances to protect your puppy’s delicate skin and fur. Natural fragrance will leave your puppy smelling just as nice.
- Puppy’s overall skin and coat health: Always consider your puppy’s overall health and better coat when buying the best puppy shampoo. Puppy’s skin and coat are sensitive and prone to a range of skin conditions.
Top 12 Best Puppy Shampoos
Every shampoo is special in its own unique way. Finding the best puppy shampoo can make bath time enjoyable for puppies.
We bring you the top 12 best puppy shampoos that are currently available on the market. Let’s have a look at them:
1. Burt’s Bees for Dogs Natural Tearless 2 in 1 Dog Shampoo & Conditioner
Burt’s Bees puppy shampoo and conditioner soothe your puppy’s skin and soften hair. It is made with nourishing Buttermilk and linseed oil. The shampoo deeply conditions your pint-sized puppy’s skin and coat.
Burt’s Bees Tearless Shampoo is pH balanced and suitable for all breeds. It is formulated without added fragrances, colorants, sulfates, and harsh chemicals.
Burt’s Bees puppy shampoo and conditioner maintain a 4.5-star rating from 14,136 customer reviews.
- Brand: Burt’s Bees
- 2-in-1 shampoo and conditioner
- Made with nature’s finest ingredients
- Naturally moisturizes puppy’s fur
- Free of SLS, sulfates, parabens, and artificial fragrances
- PH balanced
- Made in the USA
- Customers are praising this shampoo for nourishing and strengthening hair
- Buyers have mentioned that it makes their puppy’s coat fluffy and soft
- Buyers love it because it is perfect for sensitive dogs
- Brightens and cleanses gently
- Many low reviews stated that the bottle leaked during shipment
- Some buyers found this shampoo too liquidy and don’t lather
2. Pet Care Tearless Puppy Shampoo and Conditioner
Pet Care Tearless Puppy Shampoo and Conditioner features naturally derived oatmeal. It keeps your puppy’s coat in wonderful condition and doesn’t strip away any natural oils.
Pet Care Tearless Puppy Shampoo and Conditioner contains no artificial fragrances and has a subtle coconut scent. It leaves your puppy smelling great with their coat in wonderful condition.
Pet Care Tearless Puppy Shampoo maintains a 4.6-star rating from 970 customer reviews.
- Brand: Pet Care
- Scent: coconut
- Naturally derived oatmeal
- No artificial fragrances
- Suitable for sensitive skin
- Made in the USA
- Customers have mentioned that the shampoo is gentle and natural, with a pleasing scent.
- This shampoo makes your puppy’s coat fluffy and soft
- Effective and safe
- Easy to lather and rinse
- Some buyers have complained that the smell isn’t good.
3. Earthbath Ultra-Mild Wild Cherry Puppy Shampoo
The Earthbath Ultra-mild Puppy Shampoo is a perfect affordable solution for your fur buddy. It is formulated with oatmeal and aloe vera extracts. The shampoo combats skin irritation, promotes healing, and re-moisturizes dry skin.
The shampoo maintains the shine of the puppy’s coat and leaves your puppy’s coat clean. The good thing is that it will not wash off flea and tick applications.
Earthbath Ultra-mild Best Puppy Shampoo maintains a 4.7-star rating from 207 customer reviews.
- Brand: Earthbath
- Vanilla and oatmeal fragrance
- Tearless and extra gentle
- Natural and soap-free
- Free of synthetic dyes, sulfates, or phthalates
- Doesn’t wash off topical flea applications
- The best thing about this shampoo is that it doesn’t make your puppy itch
- Buyers have mentioned that their puppies are clean and smell good
- Gentle and effective puppy shampoo
- Some buyers have reported that the bottle is not sealed well for shipping.
4. Nature’s Miracle Puppy Shampoo
You can keep your puppy’s coat clean and conditioned with Nature’s Miracle Puppy Shampoo. It is formulated to neutralize odors and clean your puppy’s skin and coat.
The gentle formula does not irritate your puppy’s eyes or skin. The shampoo won’t wash off any topical flea or tick treatments. It contains no harsh chemicals and is ideal for sensitive skin.
Nature’s Miracle Best Puppy Shampoo maintains a 4.7-star rating from 1084 customer reviews.
- Brand: Nature’s Miracle
- Scent: Fresh spring waters
- Odor control
- Gentle formula
- Safe to use with topical flea and tick treatments
- No dyes or artificial fragrance
- Reviews praise this product for neutralizing odors
- Buyers love it because it conditions your puppy’s hair and reduces static electricity
- It is safe to use with topical flea treatments
- Some buyers have reported that the scent is not appealing to their puppies.
5. Oster Oatmeal Essentials Shampoo
Oster Oatmeal Essentials Shampoo effectively cleans and soothes your puppy’s delicate skin. The shampoo leaves your puppy’s coat soft and shiny.
The shampoo is pH balanced and enriched with natural ingredients. It features 100 % natural oatmeal extract, wheat protein, rosemary extract, and humectants.
Oster Oatmeal Essentials Shampoo maintains a 4.7-star rating from 4217 customer reviews.
- Brand: Oster
- Scent: baby powder
- Long-lasting fragrance
- Includes Oatmeal, Wheat Protein, and Rosemary
- pH balanced
- Free of dyes, parabens, and alcohol
- Buyers mentioned that the shampoo gently cleans and soothes puppy’s skin
- The shampoo smells great
- Puppies feel less itchy after using this shampoo
- Some customers have mentioned that their puppy seems happier and more comfortable.
- Buyers have mentioned that the shampoo doesn’t control shedding. Check what options there are for controlling shedding.
6. Pet Head Puppy Fun!! Tearless Shampoo
Pet Head Puppy Fun Shampoo is a gentle formula that leaves your dog smelling fresh and clean. It is fortified with shea butter and safﬂower oils that nourish your puppy’s skin. The shampoo helps to restore suppleness and elasticity in puppy coats.
This hypoallergenic best puppy shampoo is extra gentle and free of any harsh chemicals. It is enriched with vitamin C & E, aloe vera extract, and wheat protein.
Pet Head Puppy Fun Shampoo maintains a 4.6-star rating from 1058 customer reviews.
- Brand: Pet Head
- Yummy orange scent
- Packed with natural ingredients
- 100% recyclable bottles
- Includes aloe vera extract and wheat protein
- Enriched with vitamin C and E
- Customers have mentioned that it does everything that it claims
- Many buyers reviewed that their puppy smells amazing and the scent lasts
- Puppies become super fluffy after the bath
- Some buyers have mentioned that their puppy’s skin was dry following the use.
7. Arm & Hammer Tearless Puppy Shampoo
Arm & Hammer Tearless Puppy Shampoo uses the power of baking soda to eliminate odor. The 2-in-1 Shampoo & Conditioner
This gentle yet effective formula is perfectly safe to use with topical flea and tick treatments. It makes bath time a pleasant experience for you and your fur buddy.
Arm & Hammer Tearless Best Puppy Shampoo maintains a 4.6-star rating from 470 customer reviews.
- Brand: Arm & Hammer
- Scent: coconut water
- Gentle cleansing formula
- Free from harsh chemicals
- All-natural ingredients
- 100% safe for puppies
- Paraben-free, Sulfate-free, SLS free, and hypoallergenic
- Safe to use with topical flea and tick treatments
- Buyers have mentioned that it leaves their puppy smelling fresh and clean
- Makes your puppy’s fur soft and smooth
- The best thing about this puppy shampoo is that it doesn’t hurt your puppy’s eyes.
- Lathers easily and is easy to rinse
- One of the problems highlighted by buyers is that the bottle had leaked when it arrived.
8. Veterinary Formula Solutions Puppy Love Extra Gentle Tearless Shampoo
Veterinary Formula Solutions Puppy Tearless Shampoo is extra gentle for frequent use. It cleanses without drying out your puppy’s delicate skin. The formula leaves your pup’s coat soft, smooth, and fluffy.
It doesn’t wash away topical spot-on flea and tick treatments. This tearless best puppy shampoo will not even burn or irritate your puppy’s eyes. The clean, fresh scent is light and not overpowering. It will remain with the puppy even after bath time is over.
Veterinary Formula Solutions Puppy Tearless Shampoo maintains a 4.7-star rating from 637 customer reviews.
- Brand: Veterinary Formula Solutions
- Light and pleasant someone
- Tear-free formula
- Extra gentle
- Doesn’t wash away topical flea and tick treatments
- PH balanced for puppies
- Effective and affordable
- Buyers have mentioned that it has a long-lasting scent
- Reviewers backup Veterinary Formula Solution’s claims that it doesn’t irritate your puppy’s eyes
- Makes the coat soft and fluffy
- Some reviews report that their puppy had an allergic reaction to this shampoo.
9. Crazy Dog Baby Dog Shampoo
Turn bath time into quality time with your puppy with Crazy Dog Baby Shampoo. It is formulated with the delicate needs of your little 4-pawed friend. It is fortified with pro-vitamin B5 to support a manageable, shiny coat.
The gentle formula cleanses and moisturizes to keep your puppy clean. It has a long-lasting pleasant scent that you and your puppy will love. The long-lasting odor control helps you to enjoy snuggling with your puppy.
Crazy Dog Baby Shampoo maintains a 4.8-star rating from 1309 customer reviews.
- Brand: Crazy dog
- 3 amazing, long-lasting scents
- Tearless shampoo
- Reduce tangles
- Moisturizes and cleans gently
- Suitable for damaged puppy hair
- Many positive reviews stated that the best puppy shampoo has a fresh scent and great lather.
- Reviewers backup manufacturer’s claims that this puppy shampoo is gentle for puppies
- The coat becomes soft, smooth, and fluffy.
- Some buyers complained that the container was completely broken.
10. TropiClean Shampoos for Pets
Make bathing moments enjoyable and fresh with TropiClean Puppy Shampoo. The medicated formula is enhanced with beta hydroxy. It helps soothe dry skin and provides long-lasting itch relief to your puppy.
The shampoo is made with naturally derived ingredients and is safe when used on puppies. It exfoliates, moisturizes, and conditions your puppy’s tender skin and coat.
TropiClean Puppy Shampoo maintains a 4.6-star rating from 15,436 customer reviews.
- Brand: TropiClean
- Scent: Oatmeal & Tea Tree
- Naturally derived ingredients
- Soap-free, dye-free, Paraben-free
- Medicated itch relief formula
- pH balanced
- Made in the USA
- Buyers have praised the puppy shampoo for making their puppy’s fur very soft and smooth.
- Effectively soothes dry, itchy, and irritated skin
- Exfoliates, moisturizes, and conditions your puppy’s skin and coat
- Some reviews report that this shampoo is not suitable for puppies with sensitive skin.
11. Arava Flea & Tick Control Dog & Puppy Shampoo
Arava Flea and Tick Control Puppy Shampoo give gentle and effective protection against fleas and ticks. It is a fantastic combination of 26 Dead Sea minerals and botanical ingredients like lemongrass, rosemary, and citronella. The best dog shampoo uses safe ingredients and is free of harsh chemicals.
Arava Flea and Tick Control Puppy Shampoo is saturated with natural oils and doesn’t dry your puppy’s skin and coat. Your puppy will enjoy an incredibly refreshing scent after the use of this shampoo.
Arava Flea and Tick Control Puppy Shampoo maintain a 4.4-star rating from 250 customer reviews.
- Brand: Arava
- 100% natural and safe ingredients
- Repels almost 500 different insect species
- The subtle and pleasant herbal smell
- Gentle botanical ingredients including 11 herbs
- Contains 26 beneficial Dead Sea minerals
- Customers have mentioned that the shampoo smells amazing
- Most buyers love it because it makes your puppy’s fur soft and fluffy
- Nourish and strengthen your puppy’s skin and coat
- Some buyers reported that the shampoo is not effective on ticks.
12. BioSilk for Dogs Silk Therapy Puppy Tearless Shampoo
BioSilk Puppy Tearless Shampoo cleans, softens, and conditions your puppy’s skin and coat. It features classic ingredients and innovative technology as the original Biosilk line for humans.
The puppy shampoo has a great floral-inspired Jasmine scent. It simply leaves your fur baby smelling fresh and clean. BioSilk Puppy Tearless Shampoo is pH balanced and cruelty-free. It can safely be used with topical tick and flea treatments.
BioSilk Puppy Tearless Shampoo maintains a 4.7-star rating from 2936 customer reviews.
- Brand: BioSilk
- Scent: Floral-inspired Jasmine
- pH balanced
- Cleans, softens, and conditions
- Sulfate & Paraben-free
- Made in the USA
- Buyers have mentioned that it smells great and is gentle on puppy’s skin
- Customers have praised the shampoo for keeping their puppies’ coats shiny and soft
- It reinforces your puppy’s fur strength
- Safe to use with topical flea and tick treatments
- The puppy shampoo is easy to use
- Many low reviews stated that the shampoo made their puppy itch.
How often should you bathe a puppy?
You don’t need to wash your puppy very frequently. A daily or weekly bath is not essential for your puppy. A good rule of thumb is that you shouldn’t bathe your puppy more than once a month.
Your puppy’s body isn’t yet ready to self-regulate its body temperature. Frequent baths will strip the natural oils from their coat. It also can dry out their skin, causing inflammation and itching.
Bath Time considerations
Puppies are individuals with varied needs of bathing. It’s a good idea to get your puppy used to baths from an early age.
How often you should bathe a puppy depends on various aspects, including coat type, activity level, weather, health, and allergies.
- Coat type: Long-coated puppy breeds usually require more maintenance. They need more baths and grooming as compared to short-coated puppies.
- Activity level: If your little 4-pawed friend rolls around in the mud, runs into muddy water, or dig holes in the backyard, you need to give them frequent baths.
- Health and allergies: If your puppy has some health concerns, you should take expert advice to establish an appropriate care plan. Consult your vet or groomer for more guidance on your puppy’s bathing frequency.
- Weather: Your little bundle of energy can’t self-regulate their body temperature. Avoid bathing your puppy too often during cold spells. During the winter months, you can even use dry shampoo as well.
How do you wash a puppy at home?
Follow these steps for a successful bath of your fur baby:
- Start early: Get your puppy used to bathing as early as possible.
- Thorough brushing before the bath: Thoroughly brush your puppy before giving him a bath. Otherwise, the moisture will cement mats into solid masses that are hard to remove.
- Gather the supplies: Prepare ahead and assemble all the supplies before giving him the bath. These bath supplies include the best puppy shampoo, cotton balls, a puppy conditioner, and a towel.
- Only use shampoos formulated for puppies: Avoid human shampoos or adult dog shampoos. The best puppy shampoos will protect their tender skin and prevent allergic reactions.
- Bathing area: For medium and large puppies like sheepadoodle, you can use a bathtub. During summer, you can give them baths with a garden hose in the backyard. For small puppies, you can give a bath in a waist-high sink or use a series of buckets.
- Apply puppy shampoo: Wet your puppy’s fur thoroughly. Apply a thin stream of puppy shampoo along the back. You can lather the shampoo in your own hands and then apply it to your puppy.
- Rinse well: Rinse your pup thoroughly. Leaving shampoo in the coat may cause an allergic reaction. Allow your puppy to shake off the water.
- Drying your puppy: Smooth-coated puppies can air-dry very quickly. Puppies with dense fur require lots of towels. You can also use a dryer for long-haired puppies.
- Make it fun: Bathing should be a pleasant experience for your puppy. Praise your puppy drying bath and offer treats after they have finished with the process.
Pet Parent Tip: Overbathing and shampooing is not recommended for puppies. It can strip the natural oils from your puppy’s coat.
Frequently asked questions on the best puppy shampoo.
1. Can I use baby shampoo on my puppy?
Most experts do not recommend any human shampoo for puppies. However, baby shampoo is formulated to be more gentle than regular human shampoo. It is not as strong or harsh as adult shampoos.
Most baby shampoos contain low irritation cleaning agents like water, glycerin, potassium acrylates copolymer, etc. So, baby shampoo is the only safe option where human shampoo is concerned. It will not cause any skin irritations, redness, or discomfort to puppies. Speak to your vet for the best options for your puppy.
2. At what age can I start bathing my puppy?
Avoid bathing your puppies until they are at least four weeks old. However, starting with a six or eight weeks old puppy is better.
3. Can I bathe my 8-week old puppy?
It is perfectly safe to give a bath to your 8-week old puppy. If your puppy is not extremely dirty, you can also gently wipe him down using a warm washcloth with a little bit of puppy shampoo and conditioner. When the puppy is too young and you can use dog wipes.
Your key takeaways about puppy shampoo
Regular baths are important for puppies but remember that you don’t need to overdo it. There are always exceptions to how often you should bathe a puppy.
Always use a shampoo specifically made for puppies to avoid itching and harsh chemicals. Regular brushing is essential between baths to keep your puppy’s hair from getting tangled or matted. If you need to remove mats you can use the best dog clippers for matted hair from this article.
Bath time for your little fur buddy is either the best or the worst experience ever! Try to make puppy bath time as fun and enjoyable as possible.
We hope you have enjoyed the article on the best puppy shampoos. If you have any questions about the best puppy shampoo, feel free to contact us.
This Post Has 2 Comments
I always try to find good and as natural as I can products for my dog, from his food to shampoo or supplements. I was using the Earthbath ultra-mild shampoo that you recommend here and it’s very good but I wanted to switch things up a little. I started using Burt’s bees shampoo and conditioner and I’m very happy with it. Glad I now have 2 different ones to use and I will be trying a few others so I have enough to switch between them from time to time.
For me, it’s hard to believe that a shampoo can be 99.7% natural. I just find it hard to believe that they can use natural ingredients and make it last for so long. I will give Burt’s Bees a try although I’m a bit skeptical. Many people seem to like it a lot so I guess I’ll give it a go.