Ear cleaning is an important part of a dog’s grooming routine. It is very important to regularly examine the condition of your dog’s ears. Some dog breeds with long hair or floppy ears are at high risk of chronic ear infections. As a responsible dog parent, you know that dog ear cleaning can help keep your pet clean, healthy, and happy. Have a dog ear cleaner always at hand when grooming your dog.
We’ve researched the features of the most popular products to find the best dog ear cleaner. After that, we narrowed it down to just 11 products. You’ll find the features on each product below with the pros and cons. Here are the quick links directly to products, if you already know what you want:
- MISTER BEN’S Original Ear Cleaner for Dogs Care Kit
- Dechra EpiKlean Ear Cleanser for Dogs
- Great Pets Dog Ear Cleaner – Advanced Ear Cleaning Solution for Dogs
- Vet Organics EcoEars Dog Ear Cleaner
- Curaseb Cat & Dog Ear Infection Treatment
- Virbac EPIOTIC Advanced Dog Ear Cleanser
- Pet MD Veterinary Tris Flush Cat & Dog Ear Cleaner
- VetWELL Ear Cleaner for Dogs
- Pro Pooch Dog Ear Cleaner Solution
- Doggie Dailies Pet Ear Cleaner
- Vet’s Best Dog Ear Cleaner Kit
Why is cleaning your dog’s ears important?
The inner portion of your dog’s ear should be pink, clean, and healthy.
- It helps prevent ear infections and other problems caused by a build-up of dirt, debris, or foreign materials.
- Regular ear cleaning helps to avoid infections.
- The shape of the dog’s ear canal makes it tough for trapped dirt, debris, or foreign material to be expelled without the assistance of a dog ear cleaner.
A quick tip: Don’t try to overclean your dog’s ears. It may irritate your dog’s ear canal and can lead to infection. A little of natural wax is beneficial for their ear protection.
Symptoms of ear problems in dogs
Dogs with ear problems might show the following symptoms:
- Excessive scratching
- Unpleasant odor
- Excessive build-up of a wax
- Redness and swelling
If your dog is showing these symptoms, consult with your vet before cleaning. Your fur buddy may have a chronic ear infection.
What can I use to clean my dog’s ears at home?
So, with tons of dog ear cleaners on the market, you need to pick the right one for your dog. We bring you the top 11 dog ear cleaners that are currently available on the market.
Check out our best dog ear cleaners below and start swabbing to keep your fur buddy healthy and happy.
MISTER BEN’S Original Dog Ear Cleaner Kit is one of the most effective treatments for cleaning your dog’s ears. This dog ear cleaner fights the root causes of dog infections and prevents smelly odors.
The dog ear cleaner solution is made from high-quality ingredients, including 100% organic cold-pressed aloe. Your furry companion will get relief from infections, inflammation, swelling, redness, and irritations.
On Amazon, MISTER BEN’S Original Ear Cleaner for Dogs Care Kit maintains a 4.4 out of 5 stars rating from 952 customer reviews.
- Includes: 1 Ear Tonic, 1 4-oz bottle Ear Wash, one 8-oz. bottle, 1 Jar of 100 ear wipes, free eBook on your dog’s ear health
- Fights the roots causes of dog infections
- Uses 100% organic pressed aloe vera
- Made in the USA
- Reviewers back up claim that it soothes irritation and promotes healing
- Some positive reviews state that the ear cleaner gives effective and fast relief
- Prevents smelly, painful, and irritated ears
- Some reviews report that it has a very strong and unpleasant smell
Dechra EpiKlean is a general Purpose dog ear cleaner for non-infected ears. It keeps your dog’s ears clean and smells good.
The routine use of this ear cleaner helps in the prevention of ear infections. It also helps soothe dogs’ smelly and itchy ears.
On Amazon, Dechra EpiKlean Ear Cleanser for Dogs maintains a 4.8 out of 5 stars rating from 488 customer reviews.
- Pleasant scent
- Great for use when grooming
- Prevention of ear infections
- Made in the USA
- Many buyers reviewed that the product does a great job at keeping their dog’s ears clean
- The best thing about this is that it has a wonderful smell and is so easy to use
- Protect dogs from getting ear infections after baths
- Some low reviews stated that the product is very strongly scented
Great Pets Dog Ear Cleaner is formulated to clean and soothe your dog’s dry and irritated ears. It soothes dryness in the ears and reduces minor skin irritations.
Dog ear cleaner solution acidifies to loosen dirt particles, removes dirt, excessive ear wax, and other debris. The formula deodorizes to prevent stinky odors that develop through infection and dirt build-up.
On Amazon, Great Pets Dog Ear Cleaner maintains a 4.5-star rating from 12 customer reviews.
- Made with natural ingredients
- Soothes minor skin irritations
- Safe and effective
- No sulfates, phosphates, or parabens
- Made in the USA
- Buyers have mentioned that the product works great for dogs with floppy ears
- Some positive reviews state that the ear cleaner has a great smell that doesn’t linger on dogs after use
- Easy to apply
- Can be used daily
- Many low reviews stated that the tip of the bottle does not close properly.
Vet Organics EcoEars Dog Ear Cleaner helps wash away common ear problems in dogs. It prevents built-up wax, dirt, and grime and leaves your dog’s ears fresh and clean.
EcoEars contains simple, natural ingredients that support ear health. It helps restore furry companion’s ears to their natural healthy condition in 7-10 days. If your dog has stinky ears, it won’t stink again with this product!
On Amazon, Vet Organics EcoEars Dog Ear Cleaner maintains a 4.5 out of 5 stars rating from 9,571 customer reviews.
- Multi-action dog ear cleaner
- All-natural formula
- Flushes away debris stuck to the skin
- Works great for your dog’s weekly grooming routine
- Made in the USA
- Great for bad smell, dirt, and gunk
- Buyers have mentioned that the ear cleaner is effective and works fast
- Some positive reviews state that the product works great for the itch
- Some buyers have complained that there is alcohol in the dog ear cleaner solution and burns their dog’s ears
Curaseb Dog Ear Infection Cleaner helps to stop infections, inflammation, and itchiness due to ear infections. It flushes away and gently deodorizes smelly dog ears from sticky discharge, wax, dirt, and accumulated biofilms.
Curaseb Dog Ear Infection Cleaner is perfect for routine ear cleaning, particularly after swims and baths. If your fur buddy dislikes ear treatments, this one’s for you.
On Amazon, Curaseb Dog Ear Infection Cleaner maintains a 4.6 out of 5 stars rating from 10,599 customer reviews.
- Advanced veterinary formula
- Treats ear infections, inflammation, redness, itchiness, and head shaking due to unwanted foreign visitors
- Perfect for Routine Ear Cleaning
- Great product to use after swims and baths
- No sting veterinary formula
- Made in the USA
- Buyers have mentioned that the Dog Ear Infection Cleaner keeps your dog clean and happy
- Some positive reviews state that it relieves ear infections
- Helps with wax build-up, dirt, and debris
- The dog ear cleaner stops itching at its root
- The dog ear cleaner contains alcohol. This bothered some online reviewers.
Virbac EPIOTIC Advanced Dog Ear Cleaner is a well-tolerated and efficient solution to your dog’s ear problems. It facilitates the removal of cellular debris and excessive wax from your dog’s ears. Also, the vet recommended dog ear cleaner prevents the drying of the ear canal.
The dog ear cleaner solution contains monosaccharides that offer a soothing effect for your pet. It is anti-irritant and limits the bonding of microorganisms to the skin’s surface. The formula is recommended for dogs with chronic otitis external or chronic inflammation of the external ear canal.
On Amazon, Virbac EPIOTIC Advanced Dog Ear Cleanser maintains a 4.7 out of 5 stars rating from 8,036 customer reviews.
- The bottle comes in two sizes
- Safely removes debris and wax
- Neutralizes bad ear odors
- Gentle enough for regular ear cleaning
- Recommended for dogs with chronic inflammation of external ear canal
- Low pH formula
- Buyers have recommended it for regular cleaning to prevent ongoing ear infections
- Some positive reviews state that the ear cleaner is great for floppy-eared dogs
- It smells great and soothes itchy or burning ears
- Best for preventing and treating dog ear infections
- Multiple online reviewers reported that the dog ear cleaner solution is harsh for their pet
Pet MD Veterinary Tris Flush Dog Ear Cleaner is formulated to be non-stinging and gentle but effective. It flushes out nasty infections from your dog ears.
The dog ear infection cleaner eliminates the root cause of your dog ear infection. It contains an antifungal and antibiotic that would help clear any ear infection that your dog might have. The vet recommended dog ear cleaner is a great choice for routine ear cleaning in multi-pet homes.
On Amazon, Pet MD Veterinary Tris Flush Cat & Dog Ear Cleaner maintains a 4.6 out of 5 stars rating from 4,818 customer reviews.
- Vet approved
- An anti-stinging and gentle formula
- Active Ingredient: Ketoconazole
- Perfect for routine ear cleaning
- Made in the USA
- Buyers have mentioned that the formula helps eliminate bad odors
- Some positive reviews state that the dog ear infection cleaner eliminates itchy, scaly irritation.
- It helps remove the sticky ear wax
- The bottle is easy to use
- Not fragrance-free. Some buyers have complained that the smell is strong for dogs
VetWELL Dog Ear Cleaner gently deodorizes, cleans, dries, and acidifies your dog’s ear canal. The formula contains aloe vera that is suitable for daily use. This dog ear cleaner solution helps with wax build-up, dirt, and debris. It soothes your dog’s ears and stops itching at its root.
This dog ear cleaner solution is great for keeping ear infections at bay. Also, the pleasantly scented formula keeps your pet’s ear odor-free and smells great. You can never go wrong with scents like cucumber melon and sweet pea vanilla!
On Amazon, VetWELL Ear Cleaner for Dogs and Cats maintains a 4.6 out of 5 stars rating from 8,679 customer reviews.
- Scent: cucumber melon, sweet pea vanilla
- Safe and gentle formula
- Contains aloe vera for daily use
- Made in the USA
- The best thing about this dog ear cleaner is that it eliminates the build-up of wax, fluid, dirt, and debris
- Stop your dog’s itching, scratching, head shaking, and irritation
- Some positive reviews state that the ear cleaner helps relieve ear infections
- This dog ear cleaner is great for dogs with floppy ears
- Easy to use
- Smells great
- Some buyers found alcohol to be harsh for their pet
Pro Pooch Dog Ear Cleaner Solution is perfect for those pet parents that need a quick solution for their poor dog. The formula helps to alleviate your dog’s discomfort from wax build-up by thoroughly cleaning their ear.
Made from 100% naturally derived ingredients, Pro Pooch Dog Ear Cleaner ensures that your dog’s ears aren’t harmed by unfriendly ingredients.
The vet recommended liquid ear cleaning solution is non-toxic and free from parabens, silicones, SLES, SLS, DEA, and enzymes. It’s an alcohol-free formula and great for pet owners who regularly wish to use a dog liquid ear cleaner on their dogs.
On Amazon, Pro Pooch Dog Ear Cleaner Solution maintains a 4.4 out of 5 stars rating from 13,123 customer reviews.
- 100% naturally derived ingredients
- Free from alcohol, parabens, silicones, DEA, and enzymes
- Formulated to reduce redness, irritation, and wax build-up
- Buyers have mentioned that it is safe and extremely effective
- Some positive reviews state that it quickly soothes your pet’s discomfort
- Relieves itchy ears and helps with scratching
- Helps with ear odor and wax build-up.
- Many low reviews stated that the product made their dog’s ears sore and peel
Treat your dog’s ears to something nice with Doggie Diaries Pet Ear Cleaner. This perfect ear cleaning solution helps to maintain your dog’s ear health and cleanliness.
The formula contains the perfect blend of four natural ingredients: tea tree oil, aloe vera, witch hazel, and echinacea. They can safely and effectively loosen and remove ear wax, dirt, and debris. The aloe vera in the formula acts as a powerful skin hydrator and can help relieve minor skin irritations and abrasions.
Doggie Diaries Pet Ear Cleaner bottle is designed with an easy-to-use applicator tip for making administering the ear wash easier. You and your dog no longer need to deal with irritated, smelly, and itchy ears.
On Amazon, Doggie Diaries Pet Ear Cleaner maintains a 4.5-star rating from 1,420 customer reviews.
- 4 natural ingredients: tea tree oil, aloe vera, witch hazel, echinacea
- Easy-to-use applicator tip
- Safe for routine use
- Fresh and pleasant scent
- Made in the USA
- Customers have mentioned that the formula helps maintain ear health and cleanliness
- Some positive reviews state that it has friendly ingredients and is extremely soothing and effective
- Gently removes wax and debris
- Reduces odor
- Easy to use
- Many low reviews stated that the Tea Tree in the solution was too strong
- Some buyers have complained that their dogs dislike the ear cleaning solution
Vet’s Best Dog Ear Relief Wash & Dry Cleaner Kit cleans and soothes raw, itchy, and smelly dog ears. The natural dog ear cleaner keeps the dog’s ears fresh and dry between baths. The package contains ear relief dry and wash formulas.
Ear relief wash ensures fast and effective relief from red, greasy, itchy, and irritated ears. The ear relief dry provides lasting results and helps to extend the time between ear cleanings.
The dry and wash formulas contain natural ingredients including chamomile, clove oil, tea tree oil, and aloe vera. Both formulas are alcohol-free and non-stinging.
On Amazon, Vet’s Best Dog Ear Cleaner Kit maintains a 4.5-star rating from 4,554 customer reviews.
- Includes two formulas: ear relief dry and ear relief wash
- Natural ingredients: chamomile, clove oil, tea tree oil, and aloe vera
- Cleans and soothes raw, itchy, and smelly dog ears
- Made in the USA
- Buyers have mentioned that the ear cleaner helps relieve irritation
- Some positive reviews state that it has lasting results
- Great for all dog breeds and all sizes
- It absorbs extra moisture
- Fast and effective
- Free of hydrogen peroxide
- Many low reviews stated that it has a very strong odor
Dog ear cleaner FAQs
What is safe to clean dog’s ears with?
The dog ear cleaning process doesn’t require any special equipment. A good quality dog ear cleaning solution, some cotton balls, and some tasty treats to reward your fur buddy are all that is required.
What is the brown stuff in my dog’s ears?
If you notice any waxy brown discharge starting to appear from your dog’s ears, it can be a result of allergies, mites, or overproduction of ear wax. The brown discharge can also be a sign of ear infection. Apply a bit of vet-recommended dog ear cleaner. If, along with discharge, your dog’s ears are red, inflamed, and painful, it’s best to consult with your vet.
Can you treat a dog’s ear infection at home?
Ear infections are common and often recurrent problem in many dogs. You can keep your dog’s ears healthy by a regular ear cleaning process and a healthy diet. If your dog shows any symptoms of chronic ear issues, seek treatment to ensure the problem does not become severe.
How do you tell if your dog has ear mites or yeast infection?
If your dog has yeast infections in their ear canals, it generally causes redness, a brown discharge, head shaking or rubbing, odor, and itching. Ear mite infections also cause many of the same symptoms in dogs as a yeast infection. The discharge from the ear, having a yeast infection, is usually dark, waxy, or crusty.
If your dog suffers from a chronic yeast infection, you should give him a grain-free diet. Grains contain natural sugars that might contribute to the overgrowth of yeast in dogs. You can read more about balanced diet dog food here.
Is brown ear wax normal in dogs?
Yes, a small quantity of light brown ear wax is normal in dogs. However, if there is lots of dark brown wax along with yellow crusty discharge, or a foul smell, it could all be signs of an ear infection. If you notice these symptoms, your dog will need to see a vet.
Can I use water to clean my dog’s ears?
You can use warm water and apple cider vinegar as DIY dog ear cleaners at home. Warm water and vinegar will do the job in most cases as homemade ear cleaning solutions. They will act as homemade dog ear cleaning solutions.
Can I flush my dog’s ear with saline?
You can safely use normal saline to flush your dog’s ears. It’s better to opt for specific dog ear cleaning products instead of saline solution. Other popular and safe options include zymox dog ear cleaner with bio-active enzymes and ear wipes.
How can I ease my dog’s ear infection pain?
You can use a vet-recommended dog ear cleaner or apply a topical medication to ease the pain. In case of severe ear infection, your vet may recommend anti-inflammatory medicines or oral antibiotics for your dog. If your dog is in pain, you must keep him relaxed and comfortable with affection and treats.
How do I clean my dog’s dirty ears?
Here’s how you can clean your dog’s dirty ears:
- Dogs don’t usually get so thrilled with the ear-cleaning performance. You need to teach your fur buddy to stay calm by showing affection and saying praise words. Don’t make a big deal about your dog’s ear cleaning.
- Take a dog wipe and wipe the upper part of your dog’s ears.
- Gently open your dog’s ear canal and massage the inside of the ear with the cotton ball. Use a cotton ball soaked in a good liquid ear cleaners solution.
- Look inside your fur buddy’s ears with a flashlight. Examine if there is any dirt or debris.
- Use a hand towel to gently dry off your dog’s ear.
- Make the ear cleaning process a positive experience for your furry companion. Treats and praises are always appreciated after ear cleaning!
Now you can to clean your dog’s ears.
When you groom your fur buddy, have a look inside his ears. Check for signs of allergies and infection, such as rashes, redness, tenderness, or inflammation on the skin. Your dog’s ears should have no exceptional amount of wax, and they should smell good.
You should always dry your dog’s ears after swimming and bathing. Once a week, examine and clean your dog’s ears with a gentle dog ear cleaner to remove dirt, debris, and moisture. Avoid using paper towels for your dog’s ear cleaning process. Paper towels may leave fibers behind and cause irritation and itching in the dog’s ear canals.